Best leather cleaner/conditioner

Spencely

Hi all, this is my first time, so be gentle with me!

I have black leather seats in my BMW, and would like to hear your thoughts on the best product to use to clean and protect them, and that will maintain the nice matt finish they have now. I can't stand when leather goes shiny!

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Personally i use Wolfgang Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, which is acutally a protector. I suppose there has been alot people writing on the forums about "oils" going on to leather and that you dont need them etc. But protecting is what you need so!

Personally i avoided things like Leatherique (SP?) that you have to leave on the seats and you apply by hand. Simpy put 90% of leather in cars is these days is protected, that drying process is unlkikely to be anything more then most of the product airing out! Who knows how thing or how good the protectors are on the leather? Most of the seats are not normally the proper leather anyway, more a synthetic type product (back and sides).

Anyway! The WG stuff is a citrus and water cleaner, foams straight out the bottle for maxiumum penetration in to the little grooves in the leather, aggitate with a brush and wipe clean.

The second part you apply with a damp microfibre applicator (im sure the water helps in restoration). Apply the product, let it sit while you apply it over the first whole chair, wipe away anything thats left! Not a heady smell, not shiney, not wet looking, not sticky seats just natural clean look and feel!

Personally i find that only using one chair alot of the time its all a bit mindless! I will probably buy the Pinnacle all in one leather clean and conditioner to save time and energy!

Geoff

Yeah you cant go wrong with Gliptone, i used it for a long time but found it hard to apply the cleaner to get the cleaner clean with out feeling like i was working the dirt and cleaner further in to the seat.

I suspect 90% of products are so similar, its just deciding on what smell and look! Oh and price!

• 1 month later...
I use the AG Leather Clenaer followed by the AG Leather Cream - does a very good job.

I found that the AutoGlym leather stuff is best used for certain limited applications. I used the cleaner followed by the cream on my last S4, but found that it seemed to really "tighten" up the leather. So basically, I would reckon that the AG stuff is better for "saggy" leather, or "luxury" types of seats where the leather is more loose fitting. I would not recommend it for "sports" types seats, including Recaros - which generally have a much tighter and closer trimmed upholstery.

I'll probably get laughed at for my personal favourite at the mo - AutoSmart - the one in the bottle, not the tub. Very, very easy to apply. When dry, it needs no buffing (though you can if you want), it doesn't tighten the leather, and it seems to make the leather very "grippy" but not at all sticky. For those into horses, it is very similar to "Flexalan" which is sold in Equestrian tack shops. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

the commbined cleaners/protectors are nigh on useless. I've tried loads, as well as the factory stuff (Porsche and Audi) and none work as well as the Gliptone.

Having said that, it needs applied and used properly - worked into the seats with a nailbrush on a warm day. It takes time, no escaping that part of the job !