ditching runflats...?

bazza_g

I've been advised to contact my insurance company as indeed a non fun-flat could be considered a non standard part.

Strangely when I spoke to BMW service they said no problem to changing to non-runflats, so long as its the right size, shape, speed and load rating "a tyre's a tyre" - which I thought was a refreshing change!

One tyre company I contacted would do it but wanted me to sign a disclaimer!!!

I'll be buying some tyres next month just before its first service and was wondering if anyone had used Tyres Pneus-Online: car tyres online, motorcycle tyres, SUV tyres, new tyres for a cheap price ? They are based in France and the price includes shipping to a fitting partner in the UK a couple of miles away from me +++

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grin: I think I remember a few people on here going for 'normal' tyres instead of more runflats when the time came for replacement.

Which 18" tyres should I go for on 335d M-Sport Saloon? Do I need to watch out for anything? Does it screw up the tyre pressure monitors?

Cheers +++

I Ditched my run flat Mitchelin Pilot Sports, for Bridgestone (again runflats)

The ride is so much smoother and much quite! My reason for staying on run flats was basically i do many miles and i am always concerned about having a puncture, there is no space to hide a large alloy with a big tyre in these boots, plus 2 dogs!

Also when these new tyres were fitted i've been told that if you do have a puncture on a run flat, it will be very hard to find a tyre company who will be willing to plug to make a repair!!

Edited by Cutter7

Welcome to Tyresmoke. +++

Which Bridgestones have you gone for, I thought the PS2 ZP's where meant to be the best. Interesting you find them better.

I'm going to call my insurance company and see what they have to say. Car isn't bad for me but I can see it could be better and more predictable on normal tyres. :o

Welcome to Tyresmoke. +++

Which Bridgestones have you gone for, I thought the PS2 ZP's where meant to be the best. Interesting you find them better.

I'm going to call my insurance company and see what they have to say. Car isn't bad for me but I can see it could be better and more predictable on normal tyres. :o

I have just had all 4 tyres changed, and i'm running on the Bridgestone Potenza.

They are also a better looking tyre than the mitc sports because they have a wider rim protector!

All 4 tyres cost inc vat etc, £733.15 Rears: 255/35/18 Front: 225/40/18

The only problem with the Bridgestones is they start to loose their appeal very quickly.

The RE050 Potenza run flats are their latest ones though and they are alot better then previous versions, I had them on my M-Sport, but I still think the Pilot Sport 2's are better.

The rim protector on the Potenzas is nice though.

I recently had new runflats on my 320D SE Saloon after 60K (!) I think you should know that for whatever reason the Michelin sports replacements are a totally different ride, softer with no tramlining feels a different car. Still quiet however. Maybe the compound has changed , does anyone know why this should be?

What were on before??

The Pilot Sport 2's are alot softer than other run flats.

Having said that, run flats rely on the threads to give comfort, so as you get down from the initial 8mm to 4 mm they start to get a lot firmer, get down to 3mm and they are at their hardest, put on new rubber and it will feel so much better again.

You see alot of threads where people rave about their latest run flats 'being better' and 'must be a new compound' etc. etc. But a few months later they are back moaning about them again.

Temperature also makes a difference, the rubber they use for run flats seems to go like plastic at anything below 6ºc.

What were on before??

The Pilot Sport 2's are alot softer than other run flats.

Having said that, run flats rely on the threads to give comfort, so as you get down from the initial 8mm to 4 mm they start to get a lot firmer, get down to 3mm and they are at their hardest, put on new rubber and it will feel so much better again.

You see alot of threads where people rave about their latest run flats 'being better' and 'must be a new compound' etc. etc. But a few months later they are back moaning about them again.

Temperature also makes a difference, the rubber they use for run flats seems to go like plastic at anything below 6ºc.

My experience with the 645i matched this. I didn't have it long (six months) but it was on the factory fit runflats which were three years old when I got it. Tread was only about 4mm and they had a fair bit of cracking. Grip in the wet, especially if it was cold, was shocking. My current 535d on non-runflat 19" wheels is a much better car.

Do they feel and different to your run flats then Bazza ... is the ride a revelation or more of the same. Mine are a few k's from needing changing just yet.

I take it you spoke to your insurance Co. ?

:grin: feeling much more 'compliant' over uneven road which, lets face it, is the majority of the road in the UK. Nearly forgot to go easy for the first miles until they scrubbed a bit - that didn't take long with the diesels torque output :roflmao:

Spoke to my insurance (BMW) and they said it was fine - made a note on my policy but made no change to the premium. Even told them I'd got a black grill :roflmao:

Need some warm, dry conditions to test pushing the dry grip but I don't think thats going to happen any time soon....

Picked up my BMW Mobility Kit at its service this morning - as usual, faultless and efficient service from Sytner Sunningdale +++

Well after looking at the options to runflat just seems plain daft. When you can have 4 brand new top 5 branded tyres for only a little more than the price of 2 new runflats it just doesn't make sense.

Not sure if I'm going to go for some Goodyear F1's or Michelin Pilot Sports, does anyone know the difference between Sports and PS2?

Rears still have a bit to go but then with winter starting to bite I might just swap early.

You still enjoying yours Bazza?+++

MMmmmm at £550 for the F1 A/S to replace them all I might go for that.

The PS2's closer to £700, the Falkens as you said in another post it can be better to go for an Ultra performance brand.

From the little I've done this eve virtually every post I've read they seem to love the F1 A/S. Just need to give the insurance co a ring to check it with them. I would so not laugh if they said I couldn't change them. :rolleyes::roflmao:

Hmm, I am not hearing good things about the assymetricals on BMWs, and I don't think the Falken is any different to the GDS3's, in some ways I prefer them.

I've only been reading reviews / views of them on BMWs.... and its almost universally positive so thats strange.

Will see how it goes I guess.

Oh and just to add they aren't the GSD's but the F1 A/S that I'm looking at which are meant to be a good step up. +++

Is that what you have got fitted Bazza? What did you pay if you don't mind me asking. :o;)

:grin: the F1's were £580 all in from a local place, there's that website I posted earlier in this thread that would be cheaper but I took the easy route (like normal!) +++

So far, nothing to complain about - grip in the wet/cold/damp is great - will have to wait for how they perform in nice dry conditions as I don't think we'll have any of that for a while :roflmao:

• 1 month later...

Well I replaced my PS2 ZP with Goodyear F1 Assys and they are great.

Biggest difference is the change to the ride, its far smoother. It is like driving on velvet in comparison and it no longer skips out at the rear when going over bumps.

Grip is hard to judge in these conditions, I think they have been scrubbed now and offer the same / similar grip to the PS2's. But as the roads are very greasy and its hardly above freezing most of the time in the morning I'm not about to push them hard.

They also seem to be much quieter as well at cruising speeds which is a nice little bonus.

All in all considering two new rear PS2 ZP runflats as fitted would have been £247 each and I've replaced the entire set for £550 i'm very impressed. Oh and I used Event-tyres to fit them, crack bloke and he knew what he was doing and the service was excellent. +++

• 4 weeks later...