Dilema...1.8T tuning...its a veteran...should I?

lensman

Hello All,

I am priviledged to own both an audi a3 1.8t 150bhp 2001 year model and a 2007 MkV GTI. Having had the GTI from new since last year, Ive fallen out of love with it somewhat and would like to sell it... I have a few questions for you knowledgeable lot +++

I know the MkV GTI has a sweeter engine, more torque, better handling, but, my audi is the nicer place to be in, interior fit and finish is better(although more dated), its quieter inside (less road/wind noise) its suspension is less rock hard, sound system is better too!

The audi has done 109K miles, having recently changed the MAF, oil breather hoses(they are made out of chocolate after all), coil packs, have just had a service done on it, albeit the cambelt will need doing at 120K (which I understand is correct on the AUM engine)...

My question really is whether you lot recommend me chipping the audi 1.8T, whether it makes sense on an engine this old...( I have had revo trial on it a while back, loved it! , but never went the whole hog)

Since it has been a while since I had the revo trial on it. How do you guys compare the performance of a chipped 1.8T vs stock 2.0T, would a chipped 1.8T give the same buzz as the 2.0T, I know having had the rare gentlemanly :P rolling race whilst in the MkV GTI against 1.8T GTIs/A3/etc. that although the 2.0T wins, the difference isnt really that much! not in my opinion, will I really miss the mkV GTI?...appologies if the above sounds like its all about winning races, its not, its more about the driveability and fun factor. I took the audi up to scotland earlier this year for a weeks driving around on some fantastic roads, I know the audi is a fun, fast and capable.. :eclipse:

Somehow I just like the audi better, cant put my finger on it, maybe Im getting old, but I enjoy driving the Audi more than than the GTI, should I be shot? ( and no not just because I posted this here... ;) )

Cheers +++

Edited by lensman

I've found that it's not always outright performance that puts the smile on your face. You've already identified which car you prefer to be in and that is the key thing here.

Assuming you're A3 is is sound mechanical order I would be tempted to have a remap - more smile for less money +++

Depends if you need the money from the GTI sale....I'd be thinking about buying a used S3 (mk1). Perhaps that may hold some of the charactoristics you dislike though (hard ride etc)