320d or 330d / 335d

OldSkoO1

Its 12:30am and i'm debating whether to go for a new car.

Second baby just arrived so i'm looking at getting a 320d touring in silver in the 177bhp variety which i'm sure is a very good all round car for my needs... wife insisted on one of these do everything buggies which requires space. I bought her a new RAV4 SR180 which has plenty of space but fancy something new for me.

Problem is, the lure of well priced slightly older 335d or 330d saloons dotted around the country!! I know these cars are going to cost more to own but from what i have heard the engines are so good its hard not to consider them. But space... buggies, babies ........ cost of living etc.

330d touring are well priced on an 07 plate.

What to do! How would a chipped 177 320d fair against an 07 330d in real world performance / driving. Because i think now i've typed up this post i have to rule out the 335d because i can only afford a 335d saloon which isn't practical.

So standard older 330d v newer ED 177 320d with chip added at some stage. 320d being lighter, cheaper to own etc.

Also what extras should i look for; ideally leather and xenons but what else? - i think i will go with a manual in both cases unless the auto box proves to be that good.

Cheers!

//

btw i will only get the m-sport spec.

Edited by OldSkoO1

Remember the boot on the Touring is really no bigger than the saloon just a bit more practically shaped I guess. I have a Touring and the boot is by no means massive esp when you get a mega buggy into it. My advice is buy a small buggy for use in your car, something like a Quinny Zapp, about £100 and is tiny so you can buy whatever car you fancy.

What prices you finding 330d Tourings for ???? That is a car that would interest me too as well as a 335d. Currently tempted by a 335i petrol saloon for a great price.

The 320d mapped is nice, will keep up with a standard 330d till about 90mph and then the 330d starts to pull away.

I would go 320d remapped or jump to a 335d, which is an awesome bit of kit.

Once thing to think about though is the 330d can be mapped to 280bhp easily, and with a better air intake and straight though exhaust it can get to 320bhp.

How many torques is it at 280 and 320 bhp?

Most tuners reckon they would get around an extra 60lb/ft with just a re-map.

Mine has gone to approx 285bhp post-remap, and according to the graphs I have, I gained roughly an extra 70lb/ft. I don't take the figures as gospel of course. All I know is that it feels a shed-load quicker on the road...

I'm really interested in the new 330d and i think i've read that the new facelift 335d is coming out soon so i will be interested to see what they have done with performance and emissions in that too.

Therefore i'm going to sit on my hands for a few months until someone else has taken the depreciation hit on the new wave of 3 series esp. the 330d.

However since learning that the gov are putting in these average speed cameras all over the country the thought of having a 330/5d and not being able to drive it properly is not good. Chipped 320d 177 with 60mpg has become v.appealing again.

New 330d looks great, better C02 and economy and its almost as quick in basic form as the current 335d which isn't getting updated I don't think.

I quite like the updated car but its also not 'that' much different either so a good thing. The new iDrive looks great I just hope they give full postcode support. :ffs:

I'm really interested in the new 330d and i think i've read that the new facelift 335d is coming out soon so i will be interested to see what they have done with performance and emissions in that too.

Therefore i'm going to sit on my hands for a few months until someone else has taken the depreciation hit on the new wave of 3 series esp. the 330d.

However since learning that the gov are putting in these average speed cameras all over the country the thought of having a 330/5d and not being able to drive it properly is not good. Chipped 320d 177 with 60mpg has become v.appealing again.

Theres no way you'd get 60mpg from a 320d! I know mines bigger but i get about 40 or less from the 5.