belt or chain

alangypsy

Mine was in the service book to be changed at 60k, when I took it in for the 60k service and cam-belt change, the dealer said VW had upped the recommended belt change intervals to 80k, I had it changed anyway.

I've never had a cambelt snap on a PD engine, and in all the various VW's and Skodas we have on the fleet, we've got quite a few of them, and some have gone way over the 80k limit on the original belt.

On my 04 2.0 20v Petrol (55k) I had a card from the local stealers a few months back trying to scare me into getting it down there for the belt change.

No mention on the card of the interval and they have not seen the car for over a year, so wouldn't have any idea what the mileage was doing - it was before the service in France was done.

Hi, guys

i am thinking of buying a used vw passat on an 03 reg, it is a 1.9 tdi 130 bhp my query is do they have a timing chain or a belt also do they have them troublesome dmf clutches. car has 62000 miles on clock for sale at 4500. what do you guys think.

It will have a nasty belt. Why VAG don't use chains, I'll never know.

60K is the interval I think. On my 2001 PD Bora, it WAS 40K, but VW have upped the belt change to 60K now (at least)

Seems a lot of money for it though. Haggle and see if it comes down below £4K WITH a belt change.

Many thanks for input guys, decided to buy this vehicle and i am quite pleased with it, however after checking bhp following ins from this site i.e boot sticker stating k/w at 76 it appears to be a 100 not a 130. dealer has misold it in my opinion, what sort of recompense should i be looking

at if any.

my 54 plated A6 130 bhp is recommended to be done at 80k (checked by vin) but had it done at 72k just in case.

I would ask him for £500 back and get it remapped or ask for your money back, mind you you should have noticed this on the log book before you bought it

Many thanks for input guys, decided to buy this vehicle and i am quite pleased with it, however after checking bhp following ins from this site i.e boot sticker stating k/w at 76 it appears to be a 100 not a 130. dealer has misold it in my opinion, what sort of recompense should i be looking

at if any.

Gutted for you mate. Why do you think it's a 100BHP? What is the engine code? It'll be in the boot on a sticker in the wheel well and/or a sticker on the inside of the service book.