many problems with my beloved A3

Irrys

Hi guys

Im kinda gutted. i splashed out on a a3 over the summer, a 2.0 TDI DSG S-line. on a 54 plate. And i am having three main problems. I was wondering if there was anyone out there kind enough to offer me advice as i really dont know where to turn to.

Firstly, my rear left brake light aor side light bulb keeps going. I get it replaced, 5 mins into the journey, one or the other goes. What can i do.

Secondly, its an automatic, and on a hill it should not roll backwards, however, it does exactly that, rolls back until it goes forward again, can be well awkward on a steep hill.

Finally, the coolant needs topping up every three to four days. I had it checked for leaks and a visual inspection did not reveal anything.

Im gutted as this was my dream car and all im having is problems, im so inclined to selling it. Please help, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Irry

Firstly, my rear left brake light aor side light bulb keeps going. I get it replaced, 5 mins into the journey, one or the other goes.

Since it affects both LHR bulbs it sounds like a vibration problem and not an electrical problem. Is the light cluster securely mounted?

Secondly, its an automatic, and on a hill it should not roll backwards, however, it does exactly that, rolls back until it goes forward again, can be well awkward on a steep hill.

It's not an automatic, it's a DSG - so it doesn't have the torque converter that prevents rolling on a conventional automatic. Do you have the hill hold option?

Finally, the coolant needs topping up every three to four days. I had it checked for leaks and a visual inspection did not reveal anything.

If it's not leaking, then it must either be evaporating or being boiled off. Have you checked the expansion chamber cap is OK?

Hi there. I'll have a look into the first 2 faults you've spoken of but the coolant loss needs checking. The early 2.0TDi's had a big problem with cylinder heads going porous. They draw in small amounts of coolant through the walls of the inlet ports while operating. NOt enough to cause imediate damage but it goes! Also, if you go on a long run they can leak through the gaps that increase in size just as the head has got hot. The coolant seeps in after the engine has stopped and the coolant makes it into the cylinder, causing either a lumpy start up or even can lock the engine up if it gets very bad! A garage may do whats called a combution gas "leak test" that uses a chemaca;l to check for combustion gases in the coolant but this will show up negative as this gas never makes it up the inlet ports to get in thorugh the cracks. You need it inspecting by someone who knows what they're on with - it takes a bit of diagnosing! Worth checking though as if it is that it'll get worse. Hope it isn;t but......