Facelift S3 Engine

Jo308

The old S3 with chassis code 8L used the 1.8 20vale turbo unit in various states of tune.

The new S3 with chassis code 8P uses the 2.0 TFSI unit.

In model years 07 & 08 this was 260bhp and 218gCO2

In model; year 09 it is 260 bhp and under 200gCO2 (I think, it's deffo a tax band lower)

There are several revisions to the engine mapping as well as some ancillaires that ahve brought this down.

Some owners who ahve had both versions of the latest S3 (ie a MY 07/08 and a MY 09) have said the engine has more mid range punch, but have not noticed any specific improvements in economy, though the 2.0TFSI is a thirsty unit for the first 7-8k miles.

J

It's not the same engine. The S3 engine (which is also used in the Gti Edition 30 in de-tuned form and the Seat Cupra R in detuned form) is effectively a Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI engine, with a stronger bottom end, different cams and different turbo.

Do you have an interest in the S3 Jo?

As Mook said:

Stonger bottom end

Stronger internals

KO4 turbo

Bigger Intercooler

I don't know if it has the valvelift system, but may explain the better mid range and lower CO2 emissions...... maybe worth an email to Audi UK????

I'd be interested to know the difference between pre and post facelift too actually.

It's not the same engine. The S3 engine (which is also used in the Gti Edition 30 in de-tuned form and the Seat Cupra R in detuned form) is effectively a Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI engine, with a stronger bottom end, different cams and different turbo.

Do you have an interest in the S3 Jo?

OK thanks.

I'm due to take delivery of my facelift S3 Sportback/DSG/Magride in December and am interested in whether the new version of the TFSi had found its way into the facelift S3. There has been so much uncertainty over the spec of this model since I placed an advance order in June (e.g.DSG available or not, and if so, 6 or 7 speed) and Audi have been pretty poor in finding answers!

AFAIK, the 7 speed DSG is only available in the longitudinally mounted engined cars, i.e. A4, A5, A6. The 6 speed DSG is the only option in the transversely mounted engined cars, like the A3 and Golf.

That's correct..but in one of their press releases Audi Uk said that the S3 would get the 7 speed DSG box! Not as if you might expect Audi HQ to know what they are selling......