ECU Counter going up - does it matter?

Merlot

Simple question. My Bluefin is cheap and easy to put on/off (they say) but it makes the ECU counter increment everytime it is used. Superchips (same map, I know), DMS and E Maps don't increment the counter but the car will go in for a service feeling 'fast' and there is the hassle of going to them to re-install the map if necessary and take it off for a sale.

Question is is the counter increment something that dealers' will look for and/or care about? Advice please!

Simple question. My Bluefin is cheap and easy to put on/off (they say) but it makes the ECU counter increment everytime it is used. Superchips (same map, I know), DMS and E Maps don't increment the counter but the car will go in for a service feeling 'fast' and there is the hassle of going to them to re-install the map if necessary and take it off for a sale.

Question is is the counter increment something that dealers' will look for and/or care about? Advice please!

Hi

The flash counter is one of the main ways a dealer can recognise if the ECU has been flashed, so yes, in that sense it does matter.

We reset the flash counter on all maps.....which vehicle is this regarding?

Cheers

Will

I have been wondering about the service side, my car is now mapped - what are the chances of it being wiped at service? Is this a standard part of the service or is it more down to luck if the car comes back with the map still installed?

Rich.

If its a standard service your car will come back with its map intact, it'll only get wiped if BMW install a software update that causes your map to be overwritten +++

The latest version of Bluefin resets the counter each time. I sent mine back to Superchips for an upgrade. they only charged me the cost of the return postage.

I got mine upgraded a few months ago and it was outside warranty at the time.

What car?

When I spoke with Superchips they said that only the 2.0 litre VAG petrol engine rolls the counter back whereas all others still increment it.

Hi

The flash counter is one of the main ways a dealer can recognise if the ECU has been flashed, so yes, in that sense it does matter.

We reset the flash counter on all maps.....which vehicle is this regarding?

Cheers

Will

Thanks but unless you've got an agent in Scotland its not a runner.

Or you could buy an ST3 from Chipped UK and get your standard map (for servicing), an economy map for economy, and a fast road map for being a boy racer. All 3 are able to be swapped at will, just by connecting the unit to the diagnostic port, and the flash counter is reset to the same number as the original map every time you use it. And it's cheaper than Bluefin aswell (if you know where to ask). +++

Oh, and if you sell your car and buy a different make and / or model, then you can just wipe the unit and buy a couple of new maps to suit your new motor.