Golf V5

cruiser647

My folks came over for Christmas dat, and I had arranged a place to park their car, as we had 5 cars over. 2 in the car port, 2 outfront and then 1 'off-site'.

So, I drove off for what should have been a 1 minute trip............15 minutes and 10 miles later I returned! :grin:

This is the first time I have driven it in anger, and so took it up one of the parkways. It's an imported 02 reg with 20K miles on it!!!!

What a lovely drive - what a great engine sound, the off-beat 5 cylinder sound is something else. Needs to be a touch louder IMO, but the engine is so tractable - does 30 mph in fifth and still picks up smoothly.

It is a totally different car to the Bora - much lighter and more chuckable. The V5 engine must be much lighter than the TDi unit. And I have never really noticed front heavy cars, but the Golf highlights it.

My folks got 35mpg on the trip up to us, and mum was driving at the speed limits. I doubt the car has ever been taken over 4K rpm by them, so I did for research purposes. It's sweet as!

Then of course, had to go get it after, so took wifey to drive it and we took it for another spin! Not as long, and wifey hates the Bora but was really impressed with the V5 - so if my folks ever want to replace their car, I am sure wifey and I will be in line to buy it!

Shame VW dropped the V5 engine - probably not emissions friendly. Definitely aurally friendly though.+++

I should think the V6 4-motion is something else.

My business partner has the 2.3 in a Bora, it does sound good and they are a nice breka from the usual 1.6 and tdis u see in golfs! They do have a few problems, partly the super low oil sump which has to be replaced, but VW did it for free!

Im in the USA (again) at the moment and was in the NEW V5 yesterday in the Jetta, that is 2.5 and is only 150HP....the same amount of power as the original 2.3!

Geoff

My business partner has the 2.3 in a Bora, it does sound good and they are a nice breka from the usual 1.6 and tdis u see in golfs! They do have a few problems, partly the super low oil sump which has to be replaced, but VW did it for free!

Im in the USA (again) at the moment and was in the NEW V5 yesterday in the Jetta, that is 2.5 and is only 150HP....the same amount of power as the original 2.3!

Geoff

That V5 isn't available here! Gits.

I'm sure over here it would manage a respectable 200+ BHP without a problem, and even better a great sound! +++

• 1 month later...