PRNDS flashing - Advice, costs, location for replacement TCU?

Jasp

Hi,

I've recently looked at a used 2004 Audi A6 2.5TDI Multitronic 163hp but it has a problem.

1) The display has PRNDS flashing.

2) Flooring the accelerator didn't seem to give me the expected level of acceleration.

From what I've read on the net the display would seem to indicate a faulty TCU. Would that put the car into limp mode or reduce the power delivered to the wheels?

If it is the TCU does anyone know of any places that could fit a replacement that is nearer to Reading, than Inde-tech? I understand the replacement is likely to cost in the region of £1000.

I think I have figured out the part number I need is either 01J927156GN or 01J927156FK (Engine is: BDG) but I can't find any place online with that part number available.

The Multronic ECU's are incredibly complex in there coding. So there are litterally hundreds of different ECU's. The chances of finding the one you want are slim to none.

Does the car have full Audi Service or low mileage? If so Audi will be able to make quite a significant contribution to your cost.

Does the car have full Audi Service or low mileage? If so Audi will be able to make quite a significant contribution to your cost.

Full Audi service history I believe, but 60,000 miles. I assume that's too much for Audi to help me.

Seller said they'd fix it... I'm going to guess they won't though, and I'll have to look for something else.