Help with my old mans Leon

Tipex

My dad's Seat Leon has broken down, it's a 1.6 s (I think) and on a 52 plate.

Basically the garage (non main dealer) are saying the 'main computer' (by which I assume they mean the ECU) is broken, and they are looking at about 1.5k to replace it.

Now, the car has been a lot of trouble lately and had a lot spent on repairs, and my parents want rid of it, the car does not drive due to the faulty ECU.

The car also has a water ingress problem, there is a permanant puddle in the front and rear footwells (probably the cause of most of the faults).

Obviously the car is worth feck all as a trade in, anyone got any ideas of a cheaper way of repairing it, just enough to get it running so we can trade it in?

Might be an idea to ask if anyone on Seat Cupra has a spare ecu which you could buy. Easy enough to fit by the garage if you can supply the part, just needs VagCom to install I think.

There's also a fix for the water ingress. It's usually the pollen filter under the scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen, and the fix is to replace the filter, renew the seal, and dry out the car.+++

Sounds quite a lot to replace main engine control unit, I supplied one at about £650 for a leon recentl, can see fitting will cost £800 ish.

The problem with finding a secondhand one is that there are so many different versions fitted which would make finding the correct one very difficult.

PM me the reg number and I will get you a price and part number if you like!

There's also a fix for the water ingress. It's usually the pollen filter under the scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen, and the fix is to replace the filter, renew the seal, and dry out the car.+++

Or just fit the rubber flap that sits over the pollen filter properly in the first place then it doesn't leak... been there, got the teeshirt :grin:

Edit, the door seals were also a well known failure point on mk1 Leons so this may account for the water in the back...

Edited by Cupramax

I somewhat suspect it's the pollen filter and the door seals that are causing the water inside, my dad revealed it's been wet in there for years earlier :rolleyes:

If it's going to cost silly money then I doubt they will bother getting it fixed, god knows what we will do with it though, cant see anyone giving us anything for it in p/x, and I doubt it's worth more than a grand in running condition anyway with 70k + on it.

Maybe it's worth me taking it off there hands and trying to fix it for the mrs, her polo is on it's last legs anyway (but at least it works!).

PM'd Reg number to MattR.