First professional detail

JonC

I had my GTI professionally detailed just before Christmas, on the 21st, and I was delighted with the results. The 6 hour process involved:

• Megs APC Detailer (4-1 ratio) up into wheel arches.
  • Billberry alloy wheel cleaner (4-1 ratio).
  • Autobrite Super Snow Foam (non-castic).
  • Rinse down.
  • Wash (obviously 2 buckets!).
  • Bodywork clayed.

On inspection with the 3M Sun Gun, it was apparent there was some minor swirls and hologramming; mainly on one particular door panel and on the lower panel sections. Some of the lighter marks on the upper and lower sections of the door were attended to with:

• Menzerna Final Finish (PO85RD) with a fine polishing head on a Megs G220.

After that, the bodywork was then cleansed with:

• Klasse All-in-One.

Then for it's protection against all that the Scottish winter could throw at it:

• One decent coat of Collinite 476S. The alloys also got a coat, too but with Collinite 915.

The tyres were dressed and the exterior trim was treated to a dose of Black WOW. IMO, I think the pictures speak for themselves. Even now, the paintwork is still stunning. Collinite 467s is very durable and leaves a gorgeous depth of shine to the paintwork.

I owe a HUGE thanks to Dave KG who did the detail (with his pal, Stu - cheers Stu +++) and took me through the whole process explaining each stage, it's effects and merits along the way. I'm booking myself in for correction work come April/May with Dave and if the protection work is anything to go by, I can't wait to see the car after the correction work. There's some slightly deeper marks that will probably require a go with Menzerna Final Finish but the PO85RD 3.02 variety.

I know this must seem like a shameless plug (sorry mods), but Dave really does deserve a mention. For anyone whose looking for some professional detailing work done in Scotland, Dave KG's unit is based near Dundee and he's happy to teach people the necessary skils in specially arranged coaching days for small groups as well as the full detailing range on a one-on-car basis. Dave KG Detailing 07803 922610. Thanks for looking. :)

DSC_0041.jpg?t=1232133980

DSC_0049.jpg?t=1232134029

DSC_0066.jpg?t=1232134193

DSC_0076.jpg?t=1232134255

DSC_0055.jpg?t=1232134340

That looks excellent JC +++

I can see why your chuffed with that ;)

Dave KG certainly knows his stuff. Are you able to confirm if the Menz polish was applied on a polishing pad or a finishing pad? I have only very minor swirling / cobwebbing on mine and have the same polishes ready to use when the weather improves. I know ther general advice is to start with the least aggressive combination bu at the same time VW paint has a reputation for being rock hard!

Also, was the G220 used on the wheel faces prior to waxing?

Haha! Now i can put an owner to that car as i saw it posted somewhere else! It looks really good and im sure your appreciating the protection in this weather!

Thanks, Geoff. And yes, glad the paint's protected by a good dolop of Colli! Where else did you see it posted?

That looks excellent JC +++

I can see why your chuffed with that ;)

Dave KG certainly knows his stuff. Are you able to confirm if the Menz polish was applied on a polishing pad or a finishing pad? I have only very minor swirling / cobwebbing on mine and have the same polishes ready to use when the weather improves. I know ther general advice is to start with the least aggressive combination bu at the same time VW paint has a reputation for being rock hard!

Also, was the G220 used on the wheel faces prior to waxing?

Thanks, TT. I'll ask Dave, but I think it's the polishing pad - I'll come back to you. I thoght my paintwork had no swirls/cobwebs whatsoever, but under the sun gun, the pain told a different story. Like yours, only very minor defects, but it's enough to unsettle the nerves! The G220 wasn't used on the alloy faces prior to waxing, but Dave was saying that a little Scratch X on some of the minor scratched areas would be beneficial. Do you polish the alloy faces? :)

It looks amazing :notworthy::bow: unlike mine, you can hardly read the number plate at the moment :o:grin::P

Grey really is best ;)

Have to say though that DSG badge looks naff, do VW fit those?

Cheers, Muppetboy. I presume your is grey? Regarding the DSG badge, I bought it online and I appreciate it that it's controversial and most on here say "yuk" when I originally posted about it last year, but I really like it. :grin:

Thanks, TT. I'll ask Dave, but I think it's the polishing pad - I'll come back to you. I thoght my paintwork had no swirls/cobwebs whatsoever, but under the sun gun, the pain told a different story. Like yours, only very minor defects, but it's enough to unsettle the nerves! The G220 wasn't used on the alloy faces prior to waxing, but Dave was saying that a little Scratch X on some of the minor scratched areas would be beneficial. Do you polish the alloy faces? :)

I only use Autoglym SRP on the alloys as I don't think it's a good idea to use anything more aggressive that might remove / reduce the laquer layer given these wheels have a reputation for corrosion! At least, I'm a bit nervous of doing otherwise :grin:

I'm sure Dave KG has a very good explanation for it but I was wondering why he used Colli 915 on the alloys instead of the 476? I don't suppose he mentioned it did he? I'm assuming the 915 would give a 'wetter' look. I used Colli 845 on mine over Autoglym EGP but I should imagine that the 915 would offer better protection in these winter conditions.

I was wondering why he used Colli 915 on the alloys instead of the 476? I don't suppose he mentioned it did he? I'm assuming the 915 would give a 'wetter' look. I used Colli 845 on mine over Autoglym EGP but I should imagine that the 915 would offer better protection in these winter conditions.

476 is just that bit more durable Dave reckons, but 915 was applied to the alloys just to mix it up a bit and for no specific reason IIRC. Perhaps it was to give a more "wetter" look.

By the way, it was a polishing pad that the Menzerna Final Finish was applied with. +++

• 2 weeks later...

The only wash mine's had in the last 3 month's was the clean when the body-shop handed it back!!

Still looks fine as I tend not to drive it to work, but just looking at this thread I'm going mad waiting for decent weather to do a full detail ... !

Is it just me, or is anyone else tearing their hair out waiting for the weather to pick up, and then head out for a detail?

I changed Mrs. Fresco's car a few months back (Lexus IS220d), and can't wait to get out and detail the bloody thing!

The only wash mine's had in the last 3 month's was the clean when the body-shop handed it back!!

It's going to need a good detail if a body shop have "valeted" the car :) I'm still managing to do a decent wash each weekend with a healthy application of QD, but I'm lookin forward to April/May when my GTI has some corrective work done. +++

All very true!

Bodyshop did a pretty good job, but not up to detailing standard - shame!

Of late I have been spending time (and money!) wandering around Halfraud's picking up a raft of various Meg's brushes, towels, detailing cloths ... but no decent weather in which to give them a whirl!

So in the meantime I keep re-organising my garage shelves, it's getting a bit 'Point of Sale' if you see what I mean!!

Your GTI looks fantastic, I reckon you've thrown down the gauntlet to the rest of us ... :)

All very true!

Bodyshop did a pretty good job, but not up to detailing standard - shame!

Of late I have been spending time (and money!) wandering around Halfraud's picking up a raft of various Meg's brushes, towels, detailing cloths ... but no decent weather in which to give them a whirl!

So in the meantime I keep re-organising my garage shelves, it's getting a bit 'Point of Sale' if you see what I mean!!

Your GTI looks fantastic, I reckon you've thrown down the gauntlet to the rest of us ... :)

Cheers, fresco :) Get some piccies of your steed up when the weather clears! At least you'll have the right tools when the time comes. The weather here in Edinburgh has been bright and sunny, albeit very cold, this weekend, so I mananged to get a top up of AG HD on top of the Colli 467s. The Monza's got 2 coats of SRP today, too. +++

Cheers, fresco :) Get some piccies of your steed up when the weather clears! . +++

Well would you believe it. About 10:00 this morning, the sun comes out - so I managed to get the GTI and Lexus washed (Megs NXT Wash, 2 buckets), and a coat of Megs QD on each of them in 4 hours flat ... :)

Also managed to get some pics, but then it rained on the GTI - awh!

Here they are 0 usual caveat that Tornado Red GTI's show up as pink ... !

The Lexus is due a nice 18"wheels upgrade in March, still on bog-standard alloys as thought it best to see out the winter before putting a bit of bling on .... !

Hope the pics come out okay!

post-13029-137914428217_thumb.jpg

post-13029-137914428221_thumb.jpg

post-13029-137914428227_thumb.jpg

post-13029-137914428232_thumb.jpg

Well would you believe it. About 10:00 this morning, the sun comes out - so I managed to get the GTI and Lexus washed (Megs NXT Wash, 2 buckets), and a coat of Megs QD on each of them in 4 hours flat ... :)

Also managed to get some pics, but then it rained on the GTI - awh!

Here they are 0 usual caveat that Tornado Red GTI's show up as pink ... !

The Lexus is due a nice 18"wheels upgrade in March, still on bog-standard alloys as thought it best to see out the winter before putting a bit of bling on .... !

Hope the pics come out okay!

That was quick! Both cars are looking sharp and sweet +++ Always fancied the GTI in Tornado Red, too. :)

Bizarrely some woman walking past commented on the GTI ... ! She was either impressed with the shine (possibly), or thought I was mad washing in the cold .. !

Red is a decent colour for the GTI, but you have to put up with the pink hue on TSN pictures! Don't think those pics do justice to it (they are a little blurry, didn't use a flash), but was pretty much up against the clock.

Cheers, fresco :) Get some piccies of your steed up when the weather clears! At least you'll have the right tools when the time comes. The weather here in Edinburgh has been bright and sunny, albeit very cold, this weekend, so I mananged to get a top up of AG HD on top of the Colli 467s. The Monza's got 2 coats of SRP today, too. +++

I'd be tempted to put some 915 or 476s on the alloys on top of the SRP as the SRP will have removed the original coats of 915. SRP isn't particularly durable on its own. +++