Oil pressure Alfa 75 3.0 V6

marcmu

Hi all ... I have a question that I hope someone can help me with ... I have a 89 Alfa 75 with a 3 litre V6 ... how many bar of oil pressure should it show on the gauge ... it shows about 4 bar when cold and drops to 2 bar @ about 3000 rpms once the engine warms up ... but at idle it drops away to almost not register on the gauge ... is this normal or what pressure should I expect it to show ... Thanks for any help / advice U can offer ...

Regards Marcus

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Official from handbook

Same for 75 TS and 3.0

Hot oil pressure

Idling - Min 0.5 Bar

Top Speed - Min 3.5 Bar

My 75TS runs about 1 - 1.5 bar at idle and 4-5 bar at speed

All the manual oil pumps on these cars run a pressure relief valve so u will get a rising rate from idle to a max pressure at about 4000 rpm. From there on the relief valve will be open and max pressure maintained. If the relief valve is not working the the pressure would continue to rise resulting in engine damage (there is such a thing as too much) and oil bypassing seals etc.

You will only get constant pressures from dry sump systems on racecars.

Anything above the .5 bar at idle is ok. Below this your oil pressure warning light will come on.

There is likely to be a seperate sender for oil pressure warning light and gauge as a backup system.