Q7 tyre pressures

Dave

I've been reading a few of the threads on here and elsewhere about the Q7's tyre wear and how important it is to keep them inflated to their optimum pressure...

but I have a bit of a concern...

I have the 21" wheels and the tyres are 295/35 R21.. for the rears the recommended cold tyre pressure is 49psi, but on the tyre side wall it says the maximum inflation pressure is 50psi..

isn't that a bit close for comfort? :confused:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hmm.. more strangeness..

just got off the phone to my dealer who has confirmed that the fronts are 44psi and the rears 49psi!!

Apparently due to the very low profile of the tyre and the weight of the vehicle there is a chance of fracturing the alloy at low pressures and they would take any hit on a pothole.

Might give dunlop a ring for one final check.

Edited by Dave

• 1 year later...

Bought my Q7 as an ex demo with 17,000 on the clock which had Michelins fitted. Changed the tyres immediately as they were well worn! My local tyre retailer recommended General Grabber UHPs, the tyres are 275/45/20. I noticed tyre wear on the edges of the tyres almost straight away and contacted the Audi dealer where I purchased it. They said there wasn't any known problems but offered a free 4 wheel alignment, they found all 4 wheels to be misaligned. After the problem was sorted I managed to get 30,000 miles out of the General Grabbers and have just had another set fitted. They give excellent grip in wet and icy conditions and are relatively quiet on the road. My colleague who travels with me was so impressed by them that he has just had them fitted on his Range Rover! Unfortunately you cannot get a 21 inch version of this tyre, much to the dismay of another friend who is having big problems with his Q7, he has no grip in the snow with 21 inch Pirellis and is currently having problems with the traction control light flashing when driving in a straight line on a motorway in dry conditions at 80+mph. Moral of the story is fit 20inch General Grabbers, get your alignment checked by Audi free of charge and run the tyres at 44psi all round!