Intermittent clutch/gear selection TDi 130BHP

tkblueyonder

Last september i had to have my Dual Mass Flywheel changed and was told by the garage that they had also replaced the clutch (bill for almost £1000) anyway this last two weeks the golf has developd somewhat of an intermittent fault whereby it wont let me select reverse or first gear , second gear with a bit of effort,the rest of the gears are fine, first or reverse gears though are a no no! although will happily go in gear with the engine off! :ffs: also when it is playing up if i dip the clutch and offer the stick up to the gear without even engaging the gear the car starts to creep with the clutch still on the floor! :ffs:

This fault is not constant if i drive using 2nd to pull away for example i can park somewhere return to the car and upon starting it up it will now go into gear with no probs at all but then maybe park again restart the engine and hey ho wont go into gear again...so frustrating! :ffs:

My gut feeling was low level hydraulic etc being as the fault was intermittent or maybe an air lock in the system that is obviously moving around?

i have returned the car to the garage that did the work for me and to everyones surprise of course the car was perfoming the fault all the time iwas there so his response was "well if it aint broke i cant fix it" grrrrrrr!! he did suggest that maybe the master cylinder needed replacing which of course means bleeding the hydraulics ...... yeh thats what i was thinking he doesnt wanna do the work without getting paid cos he screwed up when refilling after dong my clutch 4 months ago! or am i being paranoid

anyway any help or experience of this fault much appreciated thanks in advance ;)

Sounds like it could be faulty master cylinder.

If fluid level is fine and you have no leaks on hydraulic clutch system then it will either be clutch fault or master cylinder. As you have said that fault is intermitant then it is unlikely to be a mechanical defect with the clutch because this would not break then be ok again.

Master cylinders are a common fault on your model so i think bleeding it would only ever be a tempory fix. I recently had a 130 bhp Bora with clutch pedal stuck on floor, I attempted a bleed but advised customer that it probably would not be perminant fix. Two days later the fault returned and i fitted a master cylinder, He has not been back since.

Hope this helps.

Dave

yes thats what i figured Dave it couldnt be mechanical cos it couldnt be broken then be fixed again ,

u have helped me here although the garage that has done the work for me i do trust them but its allways good to get additional feedback and i am glad your advice on the master cylinder ties in with what the guy at the garage has said

thanks for your help

Terry ;)

yes thats what i figured Dave it couldnt be mechanical cos it couldnt be broken then be fixed again ,

u have helped me here although the garage that has done the work for me i do trust them but its allways good to get additional feedback and i am glad your advice on the master cylinder ties in with what the guy at the garage has said

thanks for your help

Terry ;)

No worries, glad to help.

Dave

• 3 years later...

Hi ive been looking around the forum and come across this thread. I know this thread was posted ages ago but I am taking chance to see If the user are still active?

I am having exactly the same problems as you, where intermittently I can't select 1st gear and reverse, and with the clutch fully depresed the car seems to creep forward and is difficult to move it out of gear.

What was the resolution to your problem?

I pwnz teh internet

Sounds like it could be faulty master cylinder.

If fluid level is fine and you have no leaks on hydraulic clutch system then it will either be clutch fault or master cylinder. As you have said that fault is intermitant then it is unlikely to be a mechanical defect with the clutch because this would not break then be ok again.

Master cylinders are a common fault on your model so i think bleeding it would only ever be a tempory fix. I recently had a 130 bhp Bora with clutch pedal stuck on floor, I attempted a bleed but advised customer that it probably would not be perminant fix. Two days later the fault returned and i fitted a master cylinder, He has not been back since.

Hope this helps.

Dave