What's happened to my LSP?

Tarmac_Terrorist

Harrumph!

Not sure what's happened really. Throughout Oct and into Nov I prepped my work car for the winter. AG SRP, AG EGP and I can't remember whether it was 3 or four coats of Coli 845. Beading and sheeting was amazing....until the past 2-3 weeks when it just seems to have completely given up!

Even after washing the car, there was very very poor beading and sheeting and it seemed to have visibly lost that warm glossy look.

I have washed the car weekly by hand using just 2 cap fulls of Duragloss to a regular bucket and rinsing off every 2-3 panels. I then dry with a ultraplush MF and then apply QD for extra bling.

The strange thing is, is that I prepared my dads Golf in the same way as my works car and at the same sort of time. That is washed weekly with Megs Gold Class dried and QD'd after every wash just like mine. The beading on his is still superb - round and upright like it had just been waxed! OK, my car has covered a just a few more miles perhaps but that's about it! The only other difference is that my work car stands out where as my dad's is garaged. I would expect the LSP to last longer on my dad's car for this reason but surely the Colli 845 on my car shpuld have done better?

Anyhow, I decided to wash and apply a swift fresh coat of 845 last weekend and things are looking good again.

So what has gone wrong? Is Duragloss shampoo to blame? any thoughts? :confused:

Hi TT

Sad news! First off its best to check that his isnt just a one off problem, grab your plushest microfibre cloth and make it in to a ball. After you wash the car dont use a QD on a low beading/sheeting panel just dry off a small section. Twist the MF ball on the surface with some force but not so you are going to damage the paint. If it squeeks you have no LSP left.

Sometimes you can get it where water, weather etc just doesnt play ball. I doubt its your Duragloss shampoo. I have used it for a few years on a regular basis and only just got bored and switched to #62. I always used it at the recommended amount 1oz per US Gallon. Presuming you have a 3.5 US gallon Megs bucket or the a 5 US gallon bucket your using less then they suggest.

I always have reservations on 845, it isnt as durable as the paste waxes but it does look better. I would say 3 months of protections is what it gives while it still holds it looks. Things fade in all areas very soon afterwards so i would say you were par for the course as far as 845 goes.

As for the EGP underneath, 845 is pretty "solventy" so its likely that it disrupted that when it was applied. Do the "sqeek test" as its known and let me know the outcome.

Its possible that your car has got salt or other fall out on it thats either damaged your LSP or is just on the surface of the car. Bonded contaiments reduce beading, if a car is sitting yet fallout has landed on it it can seem like the bonding has failed.

With regard your fathers car, Gold Class containers alot of conditioners that like a QD will remain on the surface post washing and will withstand a rain fall or two.

Geoff

*Just saw you re applied the 845 so forget the squeek test!

Thanks Geoff.

I anticipated that 4 coats of 845 would have seen me until mid March but I know that there are a number of factors that can affect things. Anyhow, I guess my decision to use 845 over 476 or 915 was for 'wetter' looks and also ease / speed of application.

Reapplying a fresh coat only took approx 45 mins (working fast!) so I guess not too painful in the detailing scheme of things!

I'll bear the 'squeek' test in mind for the future +++

Moving forward, it's made me think twice about layering products. Perhaps anything more than 2 coats is a waste of effort / diminishing return.

Hi TT

There are quite a few schools of thought that would say more then 2 layers is to many. I tend to agree, though Zaino does seem to deeper and wetter after a couple of coats as does FK's Pink Wax.

I used to break my products down in to groups that i would apply for say 1/4th of the year, start of with a couple of coats and as they diminished top them up with the same product again. As long as i wasnt sealing over lots of tar or similar it worked pretty well.

I wondered if you used your Z8 to top up the cars and what you thought?

Geoff

LOL - I was ordering an extra large plush MF drying towel and more DG901 this afternoon and couldn't resist clicking on 250ml of Dodo Red Mist to give it a go :grin:

I'm going to have to start using some stuff instead of just colecting it!

I will see how long a single coat of 845 lasts since I applied it last weekend. It will probably do much better now the councils are running out of road salts! :P

LOL - I was ordering an extra large plush MF drying towel and more DG901 this afternoon and couldn't resist clicking on 250ml of Dodo Red Mist to give it a go :

Its good they do this for a tenner as it seems quite afforable, let us know how you get on with it on your colours.

I dont suppose you will have anything else to do but wash the car with all un used products!

Will do Geoff - all arrived today so i'm ready to use in anger! :grin:

Have to say the 250ml Dodo Red Mist bottle does look a little small - looks like a perfume bottle for the car! At least I can trial it though.

I also ordered some Chemical Guys New Look Trim / Tyre Gel having read some very good reviews. I particularly want to use this on the tyres. Is this a product you've any experience of Geoff?

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

Hi TT

I havent used the New Look Trim / Tyre Gel but alot of people like it! I think tyre gel is still one area where everyone has a different taste and the products are acutally different enough to tell them apart side by side!

As for the 200ml, it reminds me of my Zymol bottles! Let us know how it works out, esp. on the fast red one!

Geoff

Thanks for your replies guys +++

I want to create a more 'new rubber' look to the tyres. I understand that this can be achieved with the CG NLTG by wiping the finish with a damp cloth.

I will try to use the Dodo Red Mist next time I clean the Golf. I was hoping to do this at the weekend but just remembered it's my daughter's birthday on Saturday - doh!

Incidently, I ordered one of these: I4D Uber Premium Yellow Drying Towel - Buy online from i4detailing.co.uk

I've yet to use it but it's the most impressive, thickest & softest drying MF I have come across. It is also double thickness with no seams. I've previously been really impressed with the Poorboys mega-mega plush MF cloths but this is in a different league. I'll report back after trying it +++

I often find the finish or colour of paintwork determines the type of dressing i like. IMO the best one, low to no gloss, very black, seems to stain the tyres a bit which is a bonus as far is how long it lasts is Sonus Trim and Tire. It only comes in small amounts and is expensive.

My to go on Auris is Wolfgang, little gloss, durable, looks good with silver.

Geoff,

I read on DW that one of the pro valetors had been using these for ages and really swore by them, claiming he uses them day in and day out, washes them daily and months later still performing as new.

That was what persuaded me away from my trusty deep pile PB mf's.

Th pro detailer in question might have been 'Shine On' if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Phil

Update... I've now used the fluffy extra thick MF dryer twice now. I am extremely impressed with just how much water this thing absorbs and importantly locks away from the paint surface to properly dry the surface.

I used it again today to dry the BMW and to be fair, I didn't properly chase the water off to create sheeting - hence I was left with a lot of beading to dry. This towel worked just fine +++

Glad to hear you're liking the towel - do you pat dry or wipe?

I'm a wiper :o

I tend to open the length of the towel under my forearm and slowly swipe across the panels. I think my neighbours think I've lost the plot already. If they saw me patting the car I reckon they'd arrange for me to be taken away, locked up detained under the mental health act! :grin: