Hayfever

Pincher

I suffered badly last year and haven't taken anything for it for several years due to an extremely bad reaction to Zirtek - the results of the biopsy suggested I was allergic to Cetirizine but couldn't be proved conclusively without getting me to take it again, which they said they wouldn't do from an ethical POV :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't fancy being as miserable this Summer as I was last and by a quirk of fate, was forced to take some Piriton last Autumn for something completely unrelated. Was cacking it a bit in case I got the same reaction to it as I did the Zirtek but it seems that it's fine for me :D

Question is, when should I start to take it? Now, so that I build up some sort of resistance type thing or just when the Hayfever season is almost upon us?

For clarification, I usually seem to be really bad for 6 weeks or so, from the end of May/start of June through to mid-July.

Interesting. I normally only take mine at the onset of symptoms (same time as yours). You thought about the injection which covers you for all of summer? Not had it myself but might be worth a look.

I've suffered for years (about 23 actually) and only just started taking something over summer for it.

Drugs seems always to be about what works with your own body. In the same ways as you've had a bad reaction, you can also find a drug that works extremely well.

I've been fortunate and located one that works brilliantly for my hayfever :

New_Era_H_Hayfev_4745c22297c24.jpg

I'm not really into homeopathic stuff but these dimply work brilliantly for me. The only downside is that when they stop working they stop instantly. i.e. really effective then suddenly not at all. Taking a few more tablets makes them work again within a few minutes. +++

Here's all the blurb :

New Era H tissue salts are a homoeopathically prepared biochemic remedy for hay fever and allergic rhinitis.

New Era Biochemic Remedies are homoeopathically prepared from safe, natural and non-habit forming ingredients.

The remedies are based on Dr. Schuessler's Nutritional Biochemic System of Medicine.

Hayfever the seasonal allergy

It is estimated that over 9 million men, women and young people in Britain suffer from hayfever each year. Hayfever is actually a form of allergic rhinitis. Many people, sensitive to dust, pollution and other allergens in the air, suffer from different forms of allergic rhinitis all through the year. Although it produces the same symptoms, hayfever only occurs when certain types of grass, tree and flower pollens are present in the atmosphere. City and town dwellers tend to be affected by the pollen from plane trees, whereas country dwellers start to sneeze when meadow grasses and flowers begin to bloom. The symptoms vary in severity from person to person. For some, hayfever manifests itself in a mildly itching nose and the occasional sneeze. For others, it is a nightmare of running nose, weepy red and itching eyes, and continual sneezing.

Who gets it?

There is one unusual fact about hayfever - the very young don't get it. It tends to start in the early teen years and the highest incidence of sufferers is amongst people under 24 years of age. Like many other allergies, you may find that it affects you regularly every year for many years and then suddenly disappears, there is however, evidence to show that it is on the increase.

Combination H - the natural help for hayfever

Nowadays more and more hayfever sufferers are turning to natural homoeopathically prepared remedies for help.

The leading natural hayfever remedy is New Era Combination H:

• It is a homoeopathically prepared remedy
  • There are no side effects from the active ingredients
  • It is simple to take
  • There is no danger of overdose
  • A small percentage of people are sensitive to lactose, which forms the base of the tablets, and those people should check with their doctor before taking Combination H
  • Combination H is a blend of three homoeopathically prepared ingredients to help relieve hayfever symptoms gently and safety. The tablets are pleasant tasting and dissolve instantly to get to work straight away

How and when to take combination H

Have the tablets handy before the hayfever season starts. As soon as you experience any symptoms take four tablets three times a day by dissolving them on your tongue. You should tip the tablets into the lid of the tub and then straight into your mouth - homoeopathic preparations are best if not contaminated by handling. Combination H can be taken all through the hayfever season. When your symptoms and the pollen count start decreasing you can gradually tail off the dosage.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, going to have to weigh in here on the homeopathy:

The leading natural hayfever remedy is New Era Combination H:

• It is a homoeopathically prepared remedy
  • There are no side effects from the active ingredients

That would be because there aren't any active ingredients.

• It is simple to take
  • There is no danger of overdose

Of course there's no danger of overdosage, they're just sugar.

IMHO it's highly likely, given the fact that there are a vanishingly tiny number of clinical trials (if any) published in reputable peer-reviewed journals that say any homeopathic remedy works, that your improvement is either placebo effect or effectively just due to sucking some sweets and making yourself salivate more etc. Have you tried a pack of Polos instead? +++

• 5 years later...

Cetirizine is classed as causing drowsiness by the FDA - it's only the UK that classes it as "non-drowsy".

Pick up some generic loratadine tablets, when it was on patent it was Clarityn - world's number 1 hayfever drug for a reason and even got a mention on The Simpsons.

I've been in hospital this week for extensive allergy tests, of which grass pollen came quite high.

Any road up. All the tablets make me drowsy.... So I tend to use Beconase nasal spray when I need it.

http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Beconase-Hayfever-Relief-Nasal-Spray-for-Adults-100-Sprays_8312/

However, grass pollen is not my main issue, it's mould. Aspergillus Fumugatus apparently.

4 days in hospital earlier this year. Not wanting that to happen again. I was in a right state.

Edited by Soulboy

No more shrooms for you then. :P

The main trouble with Beconase is the inside of your nose adopts all the symptoms of a serious coke user. :uhoh:

That explains why they say you need to be careful when you buy it and not use it continuously, without a break then

+++

I feel a bit sorry for that actress off Eastenders now. All that scandal in the papers about addiction, and she might just have had hayfever.

:P