retrofit LED daytime running lights

jamesc68

Hi All

I know these are not to everyones taste, but i am interesting in retrofitting a decent set on my 05 A8 TDI.

I am keen to ensure that the light output is on par with the OE ones, and am also concerned how easy the installation may be. (Could any competent auto electrician install ?)

Prefereably I would like the LED strip to be installed inside the healight unit.

Has anyone got any useful advice?

thanks

James

Sorry fella been tied up dealing with other things (see sig +++)

I too wish to retrofit led/daytime running lights to my D2, but am thinking of a bespoke solution, as I'm not keen on the string of lights others have installed.

On the D3 though, surely the simplest option is to try to source a cheap set of genuine headlamp units with the led DRL's in? A la W12/S8 perhaps?

Otherwise you could try S6 DRL's in the lower grills?

The S6 DRL's do not follow the same curve of the bumper of the A8 D3 and they are actually massive. I bought some and looked at modifying my S8 grills to take them, but they are 3 inches or more deep in places, would bind against the fog lamp mounts and all the pipework behind the grills.

• 4 weeks later...

My A8 has day-time running lights fitted from the factory, though they're the filament bulb type (although the bulbs have one of their sides chromed, I guess to prevent light leakage so it only shine's light forward and not sideways).

Anyway, I wondered if it was possible to replace those bulbs with quality LED equivalent's and code the car as if it had the W12/S8 lights?

This would eliminate having to put a resistor in-line with the 12v feed - so as to prevent the bulb-gone warning on the dash - assuming the car has a warning for that specific bulb? (Easily checked I guess, just disconnect it and see if it warns?).

Does anyone else have a car with the same running lights as mine? Or better yet, actually tried this?

• 7 months later...