Adjusting MKV Xenons for driving abroad

eldiablorubino

I have seen other threads on this subject which mention a lever in the back of the unit which can be flicked up or down to convert the beam pattern.

I am driving from the UK to Italy at the beginning of July and out of interest had a look under the bonnet of my 56-plate MY2007 GTI. On the back section of each unit there are two white allen key adjustable discs. One labeled U-D (presumably UP and DOWN) the other L-R or R-L (LEFT and RIGHT)? See photos. Apologies for the appalling picture quality from my old Nokia (taken in near darkness).

I have seen mention of the U-D adjustment on here before when people have been 'flashed' by oncoming traffic. However I can't find any mention of the L-R adjusters.

Is this something added on later models? Is it indeed a Left - Right adjuster? And is it left/right to make minor adjustments to the beam, or left/right to switch for continental driving?

Can anyone help answer this?

post-14260-137914429234_thumb.jpg

post-14260-137914429239_thumb.jpg

The L-R adjusters are for moving the entire beam to the left or right when setting up the light alignment.

To change the pattern for the continent you need to flick the levers inside the units. I had created a PDF from information I had obtained from the dealer which should be still available if I haven't deleted the file from my web page. +++

The L-R adjusters are for moving the entire beam to the left or right when setting up the light alignment.

To change the pattern for the continent you need to flick the levers inside the units. I had created a PDF from information I had obtained from the dealer which should be still available if I haven't deleted the file from my web page. +++

Thanks Mike

Yes I have got your PDF already thanks, that's what prompted me to look under the bonnet... Now I just need to be brave enough to remove the covers and poke around...

How easy is it to do when you are on the Euro Tunnel? Especially if driving at night for a couple of hours on route to Folkestone?

It is relatively simple and it will easy to do on the Eurotunnel.

You can actually see the levers from the outside, just check what position they are in before you start as there seems to still be a bit of confusion as to what way they go, it should be opposite from where they are now.

Just given it a go and worked out where the lever is etc.

My levers are in the following positions at the moment (for UK driving/left hand side of the road)

PASSENGER SIDE - UP

DRIVERS SIDE - DOWN

Passenger side is actually very easy to adjust, the drivers side was much trickier due to the more restricted access. Only issue could be temperature I think. May do it before I drive to Folkestone to be on the safe side.

A slightly longer finger would also be useful for the drivers side!

PDF HERE

Maybe VW don't want people doing this because of the voltages in that area.

It has been reported on some forums that the stealers have been trying to charge over £100 for this procedure stating that they have to remove the front bumper and take out the headlight unit..:punched:

and then another £100 to change them back..

Just given it a go and worked out where the lever is etc.

My levers are in the following positions at the moment (for UK driving/left hand side of the road)

PASSENGER SIDE - UP

DRIVERS SIDE - DOWN

Passenger side is actually very easy to adjust, the drivers side was much trickier due to the more restricted access. Only issue could be temperature I think. May do it before I drive to Folkestone to be on the safe side.

A slightly longer finger would also be useful for the drivers side!

Yep, that's the same as mine, I just changed them to the opposite of that.

It does say that the temperatures can reach 700 DegC :eek: so I would keep the lights off if queuing for the train and wait until you are nearly there before you go for it..

Yes I know the xenons get very hot, hence the reason I was concerned about driving to Folkestone then trying to adjust the beam.

I also see what you mean about being able to see the levers from outside the car now, I had been looking into the eyeball of the xenon itself rather than down the edge of the glass headlamp casing.

Still can't believe that dealers are charging three figure sums for the procedure. It seems some of the latest Audis have an option in the MFD/MMI menus to change to 'Tourist mode' which seems much more sensible.

Wonder if the MKVI Golf will have a similar option (if they ever get the Xenons sorted in the first place)...

Has anyone heard if and when Xenons will be available on the MKVI Golf and Scirocco?