Paint correction & detail

Tarmac_Terrorist

At last I managed to put a day aside to machine polish the Golf. I washed and clayed the car a couple of weeks earlier and tested various pads and polishes on the bonnet....until the Kestrel broke. Anyway, got it fixed and Sunday was a perfect day for a proper correction.

It took longer than I expected as the paint was a bit of a bugger to correct - particularly it seemed when the temperature was cooler in the morning. Despite there being only very minor swirling, I found that the Menzerna 106FA finishing polish wasn't really removing the swirls despite working the polish thoroughly. I decided to use a medium cut polish - Menzerna PO85RD3.02 and then follow up with the 106FA finishing polish. On the whole I used Megs polishing pads for both polishes although I used Menz pads when I felt a bit more bite was needed and smaller areas (The Menz pad is a bit smaller than the Megs pad).

I had to work under the halogens first thing in the morning to provide not only better lighting but also some heat as the temperature was about 9 degrees. However the sun soon came out and for much of the day I was able to correct in full sunshine which was ideal for ensuring I got perfect correction. To use both polishes it took me about an hour per panel to achieve perfect results (I was fussy!). Unfortunately I didn't get chance to take pics during the polishing due to lack of time - in fact I only ate a cerial bar all day until I finished at 9.30pm!

I just managed to get 1 coat of Dodo Juice Supernatural on under the halogens as it became dark. I managed to get a further coat on Monday evening having allowed the first layer 24 hours to cure. Today I applied a 3rd layer just to the bonnet rood and rear end to provide some extra protection.

It was much harder than I expected - 13 hours work on Sunday. I had a massive headache that evening which was partly due to looking at bright paint in full sun all day and that I was so enthusiastic that I only drank 2 cans of coke so perhaps a littl dehydrated. I realised that I was not a teenager any more!

Anyway, here are some quick pics taken today on the drive & in the garage. I'd really like to get a better setting for some shots but you can get the idea anyway....

IMGP1103.jpg

IMGP1118.jpg

IMGP1126.jpg

IMGP1101.jpg

IMGP1103.jpg

IMGP1117.jpg

IMGP1131.jpg

IMGP1138.jpg

IMGP1120.jpg

IMGP1108.jpg

IMGP1102.jpg

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

Hi Bodger, I used Autoglym bumper care on the rear bumper. I don't usually use this but the masking tape left adhesive marks which I needed to remove. The grill doesn't have anything on it. I dry each hole individually using a plush microfibre cloth each time I wash. Occasionally I apply a quick detailer spray (usually Clearkote Quikshine) which leaves a natural satin finish.

The kestrel broke during testing pads and polishes a couple of weeks earlier. Kestrel fixed and returned within 3 days. They believe the backing plate was to blame, a very slight (unnoticeable) mismatch in thread size which caused the thread to knacker on both the backing plate and polisher. The shaft was replaced on the machine and a new backing plate provided. Having looked on detailingworld about this it doesn't seem to have ever happened before and the machine has a good reliability record. :)

Great one TT the GTI looks great! Did you ever apply the RMG and if so what did you think?

When you applied SN did you notice much difference to finish? I think when you get it out side you will. I always do driveway shots and my driveway is blocked on most sides by the light but when you get "on location" you can normally get a great angles with more space. Maybe you had better put some miles on that thing on a dry day for us?!

The paintwork has come out really wet and reflective, i love the roof garage shot! Its good to see the polisher was repaired and put back in action. Sometimes i can over do it too with polishing, it is more then just standing there and you often dont find out until a few hours later!

The contrast between the red and the black bumber is really nice.

Out of wondering, what previous VWs did you have or were always a fan? (Im guessing from the garage wall).

Geoff

I didn't apply the RMG! Simply didn't have time - plus I had pins & needles in my right hand and wrist for the next 2 days from so much polishing!!

When I initially tested polishes and pads, I applied some RMG and then a layer of Supernatural (half of bonnet with RMG + wax and half with just wax) I couldn't for the life of me tell the difference!? I will probably buy some Clearkote VMHG and mix is 50/50 with the RMG and use instead of Autoglym SRP when detailing work car and family's cars.

Re the Supernatural - hard to pick up on the automatic camera but it gives the paint a kind of warmer and smoother look. With the paint corrected I wasn't sure if the wax would really add anything but I think it did. I have the V2 Supernatural which was smoother (less crumby than the V1 sample pot I previously had) but removing required more effort.

Although I'[ve been a VW fan for many years, I've only had the MKV golf myself although my dad was / is pretty much a life long VW fan. I'd love a Splitty camper or a MKI Golf - maybe one day! :grin:

Maybe this weekend will give me the opportunity to get some 'location' pics. Then again, bank holidays and rain usually go together!

• 2 weeks later...
TT - What did you stick your seat "GTI" metal badges on with?

I have just ordered my set from ebay.....

Well, I initially used a couple of tiny blobs of superglue. Unfortunately the drivers seat one fell off and I haven't got round to fixing it back.

I believe others have used clear silicone with success but not sure exactly what to use to be honest. I wondered if there was some specific silicone type adhesive in a small tube. Some have put red electrical tape underneath before sticking it down but that's a bit OTT for me.

Any other ideas? :confused: