Rinsing with R.O. water

Tarmac_Terrorist

This is a picture of the set up (not my picture). It's very simple to use and those who use it seem to swear by it. I'm very impressed so far but have been a bit too rushed to take piccies :)

Filter.jpg

Here's a link to a TDS meter: Waterproof Digital TDS PPM Meter Tester Hydroponics B4 on eBay, also Water Filters, Small Appliances, Kitchen, Home Garden (end time 25-May-09 07:00:00 BST)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thats a lot easier set up than i thought it would be.

Woudl think a quick wash woul dbe alot less than 1 hour now - snow foam, rinse, wash, risnse with filtered water - alow to dry naturally.

Structure in the proper cleaning of the alloys, front and inners and for me its 1.5 hours....:roflmao:

+++

Yep, very simple set up really. :)

I haven't really noticed a drop in water pressure but i've been filling a watering can with the water and sheeting across the car. I suspect that there may be a slight drop though but nothing too major.

I really need to test it by properly allowing the car to drip dry now the pollen dust seems to be reducing. Unfortunately I'm going away for the next few days so won't really get a chance this weekend. Early simple tests on one panel last week seem encouraging. Certainly can't be any worse than before as I was getting water marks I could not remove without polishing sometimes.

But surely if you just let the car dry naturally there will be water everywhere like round the mirrors etc which will flow out when you start to drive and make the car look a mess .......or have I missed something ? Catching all those drip areas is what takes me most time when drying the car.

But surely if you just let the car dry naturally there will be water everywhere like round the mirrors etc which will flow out when you start to drive and make the car look a mess .......or have I missed something ? Catching all those drip areas is what takes me most time when drying the car.

Quite right but the fact the water has a ppm of 0 will help because the water will not leave any marks when the water does finally evaporate.

+++

Also T_T how much did your setup cost?

The pressure vessel complete with resin cost £130 and the TDS meter cost £15.

I used the system again tonight and the car bonnet was hot from the engine which meant the water dried on it fairly quickly. There were no white marks at all. Only if you got down at a shallow angle to the paint could you see the slightest trace of a mark and I really mean the slightest trace - I was looking for marks like I would try and identify swirl marks to give you an idea :grin:.

I can now allow the car to dry naturally and just QD as I usually do after the drying stage. In winter I am confident that I can just wash and not dry without marks.

Not the cheapest car cleaning appliance but if you live in an exceptionally hard water area and / or your fussy about your finish, I think it's well worth it. It was a toss up between a new camera or the vessel as it was a birthday gift. I'm sure I made the right decision.

My new wash routine will be something like:

1. Rinse
  2. Wash - 2 bucket method
  3. Rinse with filter water
  4. Go back inside, have a coffee / go on TSN / watch the grand prix for an hour
  5. QD if the weather forecast suggests that the car may stay clean for more than 24 hours!

:roflmao:

Oh yes, good point.

Can these be used with a pressure washer to rinse the car or are you better just letting a normal hose run over the car ?

You could run it with a pressure washer but it would probably be a waste unless you just connected in for the rinsing stage. The more water you draw through it, the quicker the resin will expire.

[*]QD if the weather forecast suggests that the car may stay clean for more than 24 hours!

LOL!

I was thinking about this system today while giving the conservatory a once over. Foam, pressure washing and a flood rinse to finish.

In the winter when you want to use this as a "touchless" or "express" wash dont use Duragloss 90X. But more something like Autoglyms car shampoo, although its less lubie (it wont matter as your not touching it) it rinses so much freeier then any other shampoos except say maybe Optimum car shampoo.

I used the 901 and wanted to rinse and go using the sheeting method and have streaks where the water dident clean up so clearly. Quick hit with the AG shampoo and rinsed amazingly well!

How did the system work out today?

Geoff

This item interests me as my X5 takes so long to clean and the majority of the time seems to be drying it. I would always park it in the garage after washing to avoid dust and bird crap falling on it. if i rinsed with this filtered water and left the car inside overnight do you think the car would be dry by the next day. If it wasn't and the next day was a sunny one the car could look a bit of a mess until it drys after driving a while I guess.

The pressure vessel complete with resin cost £130 and the TDS meter cost £15.

I used the system again tonight and the car bonnet was hot from the engine which meant the water dried on it fairly quickly. There were no white marks at all. Only if you got down at a shallow angle to the paint could you see the slightest trace of a mark and I really mean the slightest trace - I was looking for marks like I would try and identify swirl marks to give you an idea :grin:.

I can now allow the car to dry naturally and just QD as I usually do after the drying stage. In winter I am confident that I can just wash and not dry without marks.

Not the cheapest car cleaning appliance but if you live in an exceptionally hard water area and / or your fussy about your finish, I think it's well worth it. It was a toss up between a new camera or the vessel as it was a birthday gift. I'm sure I made the right decision.

My new wash routine will be something like:

1. Rinse
  2. Wash - 2 bucket method
  3. Rinse with filter water
  4. Go back inside, have a coffee / go on TSN / watch the grand prix for an hour
  5. QD if the weather forecast suggests that the car may stay clean for more than 24 hours!

Phil,

Re your wash regime, I'm surprised you haven't got a foam lance for your first part. It cuts down swirling etc so much you wouldnt believe it.

I have one and its superb even if its just for a very quick clean and structure in the water filter with a car like yours that has an excellent LSP then you laughing !!!;)

+++

This item interests me as my X5 takes so long to clean and the majority of the time seems to be drying it. I would always park it in the garage after washing to avoid dust and bird crap falling on it. if i rinsed with this filtered water and left the car inside overnight do you think the car would be dry by the next day. If it wasn't and the next day was a sunny one the car could look a bit of a mess until it drys after driving a while I guess.

Depends on weather re drying but you really don't need to worry about marking with using one of these filters as the water is so pure it will not leave a thing, providing the resin is not exhausted.

+++

p.s. I think my order is getting placed either today or Monday.

This detailing game is costing me a fortune ! LOL

Phil,

Re your wash regime, I'm surprised you haven't got a foam lance for your first part. It cuts down swirling etc so much you wouldnt believe it.

I have one and its superb even if its just for a very quick clean and structure in the water filter with a car like yours that has an excellent LSP then you laughing !!!;)

+++

I've got a HD foam lance but only tend to use it if the car is very dirty - mainly autumn & winter. My Golf only covered 900 miles last year so tends to get just dusty! As for my company car, that gets snow foamed if extremely dirty but otherwise a normal hose rinse and regular buckets wash.

I don't quite trust snow foam to remove everything - even dust so still prefer a very gentle contact wash and rinse with the resin filtered water rather than swipe dust with a drying cloth / MF on the final QD stage.

I don't think you'll be disapointed with the resin vessel filter. Costly but worth it imo :)

• 2 weeks later...
Ok. i've decided to order one. I worked out that for my fish tank alone it will pay for itself within 16 months as I will no longer have to buy RO water at £2 odd per go

Having looked on Detailing world, many seemed to go for the 11 litre capacity but as we have mega hard water around here I went for a slightly bigger 16.5 litre vessel:

I'll post up some pics when I have the system rigged up :)

I bought from here: DAQUA - Suppliers of DI Vessels

Hi Phil,

Are you able to connect 'Hozelock' connectors straight onto the vessel as soon as its out the box ?

Cheers

Peter+++

p.s. Order going in tomorrow, finally;)

Yes, it comes already set up and filled with resin. Just connect up and off you go. There are two male hozelock connectors for input and output which are screwed & siliconed in like in the pictures.

I ran water through mine at low pressure for 3-4 minutes just to make sure that it was running completely clear - probably not necessary though :)

Finaly managed to take some pictures after a 'wash and go' style clean...

Washed the car lunchtime. Regular bucket & mitt wash with Duragloss shampoo and rinsed with the Resin Vessel filtered water. I fill the watering can and sheet across the car to minimise standing water.

I then just left the car to dry naturally and 30 minutes later this is the result.....no nasty water marks :)

Phil

IMGP1287.jpg

IMGP1281.jpg

IMGP1288.jpg

IMGP1286.jpg

IMGP1285.jpg

IMGP1289.jpg

Thats great! It has really worked out well, how stable is the blue bottle? Im a little worried as my drive way is not made of brick and i dont want it to hit the car to fall over.

I washed my car last night and then went out and ended up with water drips from the mirrors drying on the windows....

The car looks great too Phil! I wondered what, if anything you are using on the back window to keep the water beading or sheeting? Im using Klasses AIO which lasts around 6 weeks, do u have a problem with settled water causing marks or attracting dirt?

Thanks

Geoff

[Thats great! It has really worked out well, how stable is the blue bottle? Im a little worried as my drive way is not made of brick and i dont want it to hit the car to fall over. ...]

FWIW- Portable Water Deionizer

If you live in an area where your water is hard and full of minerals here is an easy to use solution. The 24-inch tall x 7 ¼-inch diameter tank comes filled with 13 lbs of ion-exchange resins that remove minerals from the water through a process that binds them to the resin. Because the majority of the impurities are dissolved, deionization produces highly purified water so no more spots. The two valves control the water flow through the filter. This allows you to bypass the filter when it is not needed to prolong the life of the resin. The tank is on a rolling caddy so you can easily wheel it to the water source, hook it up, and you're ready to rinse.

Add our Brass Quick Disconnect Set for faster, easy use. The life of the resin depends upon the amount of total dissolved solids (TDS) in your water. The resin is safe, disposable and replacement resin is easy to install – Griot’s Garage

Or CRSpotless RO Filtration unit