What defines 'Final Edition'?

IceBlue8

Does anyone know, on a D2 A8/S8, is 'Final Edition' simply model year 2002 or is it just the latter part of that year? If it is the latter part of the year, from what month?

And what did you get in a 'Final Edition' that wasn't on an earlier car as standard?

Released March 4, but effective February 28, 2002, Audi has announced two special edition versions of the S8 model as part of the run-out activity of the A8 and S8 model ranges.

The two special editions are available in two colours, the Ebony Black version priced GBP 58,815 and the Avus Silver version priced GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

Additional items for new special editions:

- 8.5x20" highly polished 9-Spoke alloy wheels with 255/35 ZR20 tyres

- a boot mounted six-disc CD autochanger

- a BOSE audio-system

- xenon plus bi-xenon headlights

- telephone preparation with hands free function

- TV and Teletext reception

- coloured enhanced Leather pack II (seat upholstery, lower dashboard & centre console sides in Fine Nappa leather from quattro GmbH)

- coloured Controls pack (handbrake & gear lever in Fine Nappa leather)

- coloured leather sports steering wheel with tiptronic transmission controls

- dark Myrtle wood fascia, centre console & door trim

Upholstery options for new special editions:

- Avus Silver - Brilliant Red or Mauve leather upholstery & controls

- Ebony Black - Brilliant Red or Silver Grey leather upholstery & controls

Also

Released April 10, but effective April 5, 2002, Audi has announced the availability of further S8 Special Editions due to the success of initial versions.

Audi has added two new colour-ways to the S8 Special Edition range:

- Misano Red with Silver Grey leather upholstery

- Aqua Blue with Morning Dew leather upholstery

The S8 special Edition in Aqua Blue, is priced GBP 58,815 and the Misano Red edition, priced at GBP 59,815, both including delivery.

Does anyone know, on a D2 A8/S8, is 'Final Edition' simply model year 2002 or is it just the latter part of that year? If it is the latter part of the year, from what month?

And what did you get in a 'Final Edition' that wasn't on an earlier car as standard?

A fine question......

In our opinion, the final edition is defined as the very last D2 bodies that rolled off the production line in late summer 2002, all S8's, all 52 plates.

They came in 4 colours:

Ebony Black

Avus Silver

Milano Red

Aqua Blue

The specs were nothing really exciting. Bose, Hands free GSM prep, blinds, 20" wheels, Xenon plus headlights, Sat nav, TV

Notably they dont have heated or electric rear seats, no auto dip mirrors, no servotronic, no glass or solar sunroof.....

Instead individuality came through the contrasting colour combos - notably the Vivid red or violet interiors in the darker colour cars, which do look awesome in the flesh....

Rear seat entertainment was a popular *dealer fit* item (not factory) as they were on the stock shelves going mouldy so they were hurriedly fitted into many of the last D2s to move them on.

Most of the 2002 A8's had 20" wheels, xenon plus headlights, double din upgraded audio units, so there was a generally higher spec during 2002, but I think 'final edition' really applied to these end of line cars.

I think the definition is widely misunderstood though, and many cars advertised for sale are 'final edition' although I disagree with the majority...

Of course, happy to be proved wrong in the pursuit of accuracy.... +++

* edit - Looks like Reffro beat me to it, but as hes' only backed up what I said, thats a good thing +++ *

Edited by IT_S8

So, if I understand correctly, only S8s had 'final editions', not A8s (althought they were better equipped in 2002? But there seems to be some disagreement as to the dates/registraion number: Reffro says they came out in March & April 2002; IT_S8 says they were all 52 plates. But I thought 02 plates were March to August and 52 plates September to Feb 2003???

So, if I understand correctly, only S8s had 'final editions', not A8s (althought they were better equipped in 2002? But there seems to be some disagreement as to the dates/registraion number: Reffro says they came out in March & April 2002; IT_S8 says they were all 52 plates. But I thought 02 plates were March to August and 52 plates September to Feb 2003???

My S8 was first registered on 13/03/02.. It was advertised as a Final Edition but doesn't have the Bi-Zenon headlights??? Although it is well specced inside with DVD/Headrest screens etc that the Final Editions had.

So wether it its or not i don't know but according to the reg i bought for it it is... S8 FNL

The text I posted was from an article based on the Audi press release from the time and is therefore accurate.

I'm sorry to say it seems likely that your car is not a special/final edition S8. The date of registration is OK, however the lack of Bi-Xenon lights is a killer. It doesn't detract from your car though. At the end of the day its still a stunning motor.

...but has dipping mirrors, glass roof, leather pack III (with alcantara headlining and leather door panels in addition to under dash and centre console), heated rear seats, multi-function steering wheel and valcona wood presumably all specced as options in addition the other stuff listed.

Definitely an FE S8 - Sept 02, Ebony Black, Platinum Leather.

Perfect combo (IMHO...)

Zip

Edited by zip

...did the interior come with wood door cappings (around the handle, window controls) in anything other than the valcona (walnut colour)? I have never seen another with it.

Only colour I would change is the valcona to dark myrtle (or carbon fibre...), but I would still want the cappings around the window switches and not the bare plastic that seems to get very scratched in other cars.

Zip

...but has dipping mirrors, glass roof, leather pack III (with alcantara headlining and leather door panels in addition to under dash and centre console), heated rear seats, multi-function steering wheel and valcona wood presumably all specced as options in addition the other stuff listed.

Definitely an FE S8 - Sept 02, Ebony Black, Platinum Leather.

Perfect combo (IMHO...)

Zip

I think the whole point of the 'final editions' was that it was a fixed spec, im not convinced any options were allowed. Maybe yours was an ex-demo just before the true final editions came out.....

Wouldnt lose sleep over it, yours sounds way nicer than the lower spec finals anyway !

Bear in mind that when they start making them, and when they finally get over to the UK, find a buyer and get sold and put on the road is a whole different ball game. In theory, it looks like an 02 plate final edition is possible, but I've never personally seen one....

Bear in mind there is an 06 plate D2 long wheel base knocking about, so production dates and registered-on-the-road-with-dvla dates are quite different..

A fine question......

In our opinion, the final edition is defined as the very last D2 bodies that rolled off the production line in late summer 2002, all S8's, all 52 plates.

I met TSN member jools tonight and he has an '02 FINAL EDITION, Ebony Black with Platinum leather..Very nice it is too

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I've recently discovered that the FEs did not come with Platinum leather, even though the build sticker says they did. It's actually silver grey (as Reffro's posts) and is lighter than the platinum leather. And 2 give aways - I'm pretty sure they all had dark myrtle 'wood' and a 'colour coded' 2-tone steering wheel. And no 'wood' on the door pulls/door inserts.