Engine power cuts in and out on TDI

pastymatt

Hi, i have a 1.9 TDi passat (112 Bhp). The engine has a really good turbo thrust initially, but then just cuts out nearly as soon as it has cut in. It then cuts in and out again up the rev range. It almost feels like some thing is turning the turbo on and off all the time. This happens in any gear, at any speed and just about every throttle position but most noticeable at full throttle. The car runs lovely on a cruise but still does the same as above when you put your foot down. It uses little or no oil and is really good on fuel. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and if possible where to check for a fault under the bonnet and what spares to buy. I know my way around the basics of an engine but if you could point me in the right direction that would be of a great help.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Problem solved. I put it down to two possible problem areas. 1. The MAF sensor. 2. The turbo diapraghm. I temporarly swapped a MAF sensor with a friends car to narrow the fault down. It was straight away i noticed the difference in power. Bought a new one locally for about £90 and it now runs great! Thank god it wasn't the turbo!!!!

• 2 months later...

hi, had the same problem on a 2003 110bhp tdi,after an oil change. on the inter cooler pipe work just below the centre of the windscreen there is a switch which dangles a small lever into the air flow this was covered in oil,clean it off and all was well,but the greatest improvement was when i removed all the pipework to and from the inter cooler and clean it all with engine degreaser.

word of warning,if you rinse degreaser off with water make sure you dry every part 100%,i used an hair dryer on the intercooler and let the sections of pipe dry on top of radiators.a mornings work but what a difference.