XL Tyres

micalee

A bit long winded, but Ill give it a go - Recently bought my S4 from an Audi dealership and some weeks after had queried the condition of the tyres with them. On going to my local Audi dealership, they went one further and told me that I had the incorrect tyres fitted full-stop!

The tyres fitted at present are Dunlop 235/40/18 93W, but according to my local dealership, they should be 95Y XL (as per the spare, which is Michelin Pilot Sport)

Most importantly, they said they have to XL.

I do not understand tyres that well, but know the XL have stiffer side walls and also had rea that incorrect speed rating etc could have implications on the insurance, in the event ........

I am still in discussions to get these replaced as I believe the car should have been supplied with the correct tyres.

To give me a stronger argument, can anyone give any advice?

Thanks

I know XL as being eXtra Load tyres.

The S4 isn't exactly light on its feet and with the quattro etc. I'd say that you do need them but I'm not an expert.

Have you tried some of the tyre sites to see what tyres they recommend, you can often check online, it might give you an idea. +++

As said XL means eXtra Load.

The S4 is both fast and heavy, tyres derate their weight loading with increasing speed.

S4s need XL tyres to cope with their weight and their 155mph (limited) max speed.

Fitting non-XL tyres would be a reason for an insurance company to deny a claim, so don't do it!

• 4 weeks later...