Anyones spouse have an underactive thyroid?

BillBlank

My wife was diagnosed about six months ago which was a relief as it explained the mood swings, depression and sudden weight gain.

What I need help with though is being more supportive. She hates having gained the weight (I can't spot the difference from eight years ago but hey ho) and is desperate for a quick fix. We all know that it doesn't work like that, especially when your metabolisms on the blink. I'm worried about her spending a fortune on crap that not only wont work but could cause real harm as well. Combine this with mood swings and depression and you have a recipe for being shouted at should the subject come up in conversation.

Any advice folks?

Bill

My sis in law had it for a few years, then she took the 'bomb' pill which killed it off completely. Had a few side affects afterwards with her eye sight but now all normal. She has to now take pills for the rest of her life but is much happier than before.

Bill sadly no quick fix. Make sure she isn;t tempted to take a few extra thyroxine pills to kick-start her metabolism

Hmmm. Good point. This is a great condition to have, screws up your moods and then gives you something to be depressed about. Watching my other half go slowly nuts has not been fun. Worst thing is that despite being caring, sharing and understanding you sometimes get so frustrated with everything. I have come shamefully close to saying "oh fer fecks sake just get a grip". That would really help :ffs:

All part of being a husband I s'pose.

Bill

My wife has an under active thyroid, I will find out what she takes.

She seriously thought she was loosing the plot at first, getting really forgetfull etc.

She does take something daily to keep her levels right and she is now fine, has to have tests every 3 months I think it is to see if the dose needs changing but other than that back to normal.

I will PM you some details.

She's on a daily dose of thyroxin. 75 for the last few months and the blood test came back normal but apparently they don't test for T3 which is the hormone the thyroid produces that actually does the job. She still feels awful sometimes and as anyone who has experience of people with depression will know, she is a little challenging to live with.

Bill