Multitronic Worries - A4 2005 2.4 Cabrio

Dave_G6HNI

So I've had this multitronic gearbox in my Audi for 4 years now and never knew I was sitting on a time bomb, not until this week that is!

When I went to start my Cab Tuesday morning I noticed that all the Drive lights on the DIS (PRNDS) were flashing, funny I thought, not seen that before. I started up, noticed a slight whine or rattle that went away after 2 or 3 seconds, selected Drive, flashing stopped and proceeded to work as normal and thought no more of it.

Yesterday while I was out and about I noticed that the drive lights had started flashing again, this time while driving. I parked up and stopped the car, turned off and on the ignition but the light continued to flash. When I restarted the car I heard the same whirring / whine / rattle, that I had heard the last time the Drive lights were flashing.

They were still flashing when I left work last night, but had stopped flashing by the time I got home and now everything appears to be all OK again.

I have booked it into my local Audi next Tuesday, but now that I have done some research, I see that I'm not the first to have multitronic problems, although I have not found anyone with the same symptoms. I get no juddering, the oil was changed at 39K miles and it has always been services by Audi, according to their schedule and it has only done 47K miles since new. I have no idea which clutch plate it has (6 or 7) but it has the 6 speed multitronic box.

I have seen horror stories ranging from £750 for a repair to over £8000 for a new box !

Has anyone heard of this problem or have a realistic cost expectation, also I have seen mention of "Goodwill Payments" from Audi, but can't see how to, or what might qualify.

Any advise gratefully received,

A very worried Audi owner,

Dave.

I cant say I've had any personal experience with them but they're not called Multichronic for nothing... I seem to remember these are a belt driven system aren't they? (CVT).

I had to laugh at Google, even they dont have a high option of it, try typing in Audi Multitronic in the search field and it guesses the word "problems" as the next word on the predictive text... :grin:

Hope you get sorted without any horrific bills... +++