Cables for an A4 b7

jamieg

I've got an old 3rd party cable for an A3 however I would like to purchase a non ross-tech cable for a registered version of the VAG COM software for my A4 B7 (Sept 07) car.

I've had a poke around the forums here and Ebay to find out which is the right cable and I'm still unsure, anyone know which cable is the correct one for my car? I think it's the CAN one but just not sure which cable is right as they seem to look the same as my current cable which doesn't fit.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to suggest then. I believe all of the CAN leads on ebay are rip offs as the CAN capable versions of VCDS require one of the new "intelligent" leads. IMHO you're better off biting the bullet and just buying a proper HEX-CAN lead.

However it may be worth emailing Ross-Tech to see what they think?

The B7 is dual K-line plus CAN - so you need either a HEX-COM+CAN or a HEX-USB+CAN.

HEX-USB+CAN is the sensible option since not many laptops/netbooks have a COM port nowadays, plus it will work with all current (and probably most future) VAG cars.

Exactly my reasoning too, and the same lead i bought. +++

• 3 months later...

I read that European B7's only had the CAN bus if they were factory fitted with Xenon's?

I'm in similar situation, I bought VAG-COM with the original ISO-COM lead from Ross-Tech back in 1999 or 2000 and now the laptop it's registered to is literally disintegrating. I don't know whether I need a CAN bus capable interface for the B7 or if a cheap ebay USB interface will do (accepting the compromise that it'll still be locked to a single computer, albeit a newer one with a USB interface).

-Pete

I read that European B7's only had the CAN bus if they were factory fitted with Xenon's?

Whoever posted that doesn't know what they're talking about.

The CAN bus at the diagnostic socket on the B7 is the Powertrain CAN ONLY and is used for diagnosis of the engine ECU(s), ABS ECU, gearbox ECU... basically any ECU on the Powertrain CAN.

All the other ECUs on the B7 remain on the K or K2(L) line.