VW Passat 1.9 TDi (T reg 1999) problems

jam38

i was wondering if someone could please help me with a few problems that i am having with my passat.

first, the climatronic system seems to work when it feels like it. when i start the engine the display shows every digit and flashes. After 10-20 seconds it returs to normal. this does not happen all the time. also, at times it blows out air (hot or cold) when it feels like it. also, how do i set the demister settings on the thing?

second, the temperature gauge (needle) also works when it feels like it. the majority of the time it does not move at all. i drove from birmingham to manchester yesterday and the needle did not move at all.

also, what pressure should i have the tyres at? the car has vw alloys if that makes any sort of difference. i have been told conflicting numbers.

if someone could shed some light, i would really appreciate it. am i looking at hefty bills?

thanks in advance.

Edited by jam38

Hi,

1 & 2) The temperature sensor sender is a common one, and apparently you can change it in 5/10 mins max. It just either screws in or is a tolerance fit. Make sure you have plenty of G12 coolant to top up with. This might be affecting your Climatronic settings. the temp sensor can be seen when you remove the engine cover, looking over from the passenger side wing. Some bods on here will be able to show you pictures of where and what.

Finally - tyre pressure settings are usually in the fuel filler cap and the manual. Depends upon wheel size.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the reply cruiser647. i will investigate and report back the findings. in the meantime, if someone can upload pictures about what cruiser647 is referring to then that will be grand.

just another question, i have been hearing something about brushes need changing (for the climatronic). what is that all about?

The issue with the heater/aircon working whenever it feels like it is mare than likely due to the heater blower motor brushes being worn. This is a very common problem on the B5 Passat and A4.

Replacement brushes are available on ebay and they can be changed pretty easily. The blower motor is located behind the glovebox.

As a small test, next time the heater doesn't work give the glovebox a good thump. This is usually enough to get the heater working again temporarily.

VW Passat, Audi A4, VW LT35 heater blower motor brushes on eBay (end time 13-Aug-09 21:33:13 BST)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. I have had the pollen filter, tamperature gauge and blower motor replaced. There was water build up behind the battery so the whole blower motor mechanism had to be replaced. The car was under warranty so it was at minimum expense to myself. My mechanic told me that apparantly this is a common problem.

Thank you everyone for your help/replies.

:)