Anglesey International GP Circuit

Drinks

I've been to Anglesey a few times in the last couple of months so though I'd find any excuse to post a video of the circuit.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8C1uZjvn8c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8C1uZjvn8c&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The circuit is a great track to learn on as there is plenty of run off. Also a few elevation changes which makes for a bit of variation. It is quite a technical circuit (so I'm told) and a lot of people find understeer and tyre wear a problem. I'm reliably informed that a bit of trail braking is all that is required to improve the situation.

Circuit facilities are a bit sparse and it's miles from anywhere so it is a bit of a trek for most but it's well worth it.

Church can be a blindingly quick corner, though I had a bit of a sideways moment at around 80 there last week, so was still overly cautious there this week.

It was a wet start to the day and there was a skyline in the tyre wall in the first 30 minutes or so. Weather improved over the morning and by the afternoon it was sunshine and a dry track.

Having not had a great deal of fun last week at the coastal circuit I was begining to wonder if I would ever manage to drive faster than Miss Daisy.

I think the major stumbling block is confidence and my lack there of. Obviously tuition is the best way forward and I have had an instructor for the last few days. Finally managed to start lapping consistently and pushing my pace a little towards the end of the day. Obviously there are still loads of areas to improve, mainly all aspects of cornering speed.

Really enjoyed having several laps meeting no traffic later in the day too.

It's absolutely amazing to drive.

I asked the instructor to drive to show where I should be aiming to be at by the end of the day, just before this video was taken. It's a completely different experience from the passenger seat. He wasn't really pushing the car probably around 5-10 seconds a lap quicker (seat of my pants judgement, no timing allowed). For some reason the induction noise is much louder from the passenger seat :)

This helped me see how little I was pushing the car and gave me a target to aim for.

This was my 4th track day this year, all at Anglesey and I hope to get at least one more in this year, probably at Donington late August/early Sept.

Edited by Drinks

Great little track by the looks of it, glad your enjoyed yourself which is what its all about after all.

Would be interested to see how you get on and see a faster lap when you feel confident, take it easy and go at the pace you are happy with. I was told you should always be driving the car not it driving you. +++

Great video.

We had the VX220 national day on the Anglesey Coastal circuit on Saturday. Absolutely fantastic circuit and think it might possibly be my favourite UK track now - in the Coastal configuration at least, with the tricky Corkscrew section that the International configuration misses out. Takes some commitment to keep your toe in all the way through Rocket.

Had an amazing drive through the mountains, in heavy rain on the way there. Really low dark cloud cover and water cascading down the hills. Then the second I crossed the Menai Straights, bright sunshine. Managed the road to Bala and part of the Evo triangle on the way home on Sunday in equally slippery conditions.

Takes some commitment to keep your toe in all the way through Rocket.

I can't bring myself to keep accelerating, I think in the video i was topping out at just 105, the week before I was getting to 115+ and that was plenty fast enough. One of the supercharged guys managed 128 and an Anglesey regular has a pb of 136.

I don't know how it feels in the VX but the buffeting you get from the wind coming off the coast together with the small bumps on the first kink after church and up towards rocket make it a real adrenaline pumping moment.

Another clip here

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btAhAZhH23k&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btAhAZhH23k&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I live on Anglesey and were all really proud of our new circuit.....well I say new....There`s been a track there for years.....but it was extended a few yrs ago.The track has the full backing of the local council and it`s great to see speed freaks from all over the UK making the journey to Anglesey.On a sunny day it has to be the most stunning track in the UK....If your lucky and you look out to see you may even see Dolphins!!!.

I can't bring myself to keep accelerating, I think in the video i was topping out at just 105, the week before I was getting to 115+ and that was plenty fast enough. One of the supercharged guys managed 128 and an Anglesey regular has a pb of 136.

I don't know how it feels in the VX but the buffeting you get from the wind coming off the coast together with the small bumps on the first kink after church and up towards rocket make it a real adrenaline pumping moment.

I have basically the same supercharged engine (albeit in a 2.2 litre guise) as the supercharged Atom - and very nice it is too. According to the data logging I did, I got to 118mph on my fastest lap but that felt like it was right on the edge. Probably the first time I've ever wished that I had a proper wing on the back of the car for some additional downforce.

One of the other guys that came along was in his superharged Lotus 2-11 and that was bad enough as a passenger. Clearly not in the same league as the kind of buffeting you nutters have to deal with but it's definitely a little breezy in the VX sans roof.

I live on Anglesey and were all really proud of our new circuit.....well I say new....There`s been a track there for years.....but it was extended a few yrs ago.The track has the full backing of the local council and it`s great to see speed freaks from all over the UK making the journey to Anglesey.On a sunny day it has to be the most stunning track in the UK....If your lucky and you look out to see you may even see Dolphins!!!.

I agree, scenery is amazing when you get a chance to actually look. It's probably just about the smoothest track I've ever been on as well. Lovely relaxed attitude to noise which is a refreshing change compared with the mainland. Only downer is having to run the risk of driving through the territory of the North Wales police force. They'd kindly set up a little speed trap on a bridge over the A55 between our hotel and the circuit. :(

Not often you're confronted by this view after a corner

anglesey.jpg

According to the data logging I did, I got to 118mph on my fastest lap but that felt like it was right on the edge.

What are you datalogger are you using? Do you use it much how useful do you find the info?

I had a brief look into the DL1 but I'm not sure how much I would gain from the info.

Nice write-up Drinks. Anglesey and Knockhill are still on my "to do" list, but they're miles and miles and miles from me on the South Coast.

Might be doing Anglesey again on Sunday 18th Oct with BaT if you are interested

Get yourself to Donny on 28th August. Circuit Days are the TDO and you can get a discount if you mention OPL +++

I was looking at that or the day before with BaT (extra £50 though) but I'm struggling to get the time off work, the Thursday might be easier to swing.

Pic from another site that sums up the circuit really well

stormy.jpg

Will be at the Nurburgring in Oct, but hoping to do Anglesey this year +++

Until you've got properly into track days and had more experience with instructors, I wouldn't worry about getting hold of data logging kit. I've only just bought one this year and I've been doing track days for ages - I now use it to look at how quick I am through certain corners and to find out the exit speed and entry speed into the next corner to find the quickest way around a track on those tracks I know really well.

What are you datalogger are you using? Do you use it much how useful do you find the info?

I had a brief look into the DL1 but I'm not sure how much I would gain from the info.

I hired a DL1 a couple of times but just didn't get on with it and couldn't decipher what it was telling me. That was early days and a subsequent training day with one and an instructor that knew how to use it was quite useful. To get best use of them I think they really need to be properly plumbed into the car and have some additional sensors attached.

I'm now using RaceChrono on an old Nokia N95 mobile with a fast external bluetooth receiver. Shows me all I need to know about where I make or lose time on corners etc. It's nice and unobtrusive and better yet it's free. There's a sister app that will allow you to create data overlays for any video you've also taken.

BaT ran our day for us and I thought they were very impressive. Had always steered clear of them before but I thought they handled everything really well, so will definitely be using them again in the near future.