Engine degreaser

techieboy

After managing to coat the engine bay, inner arch and nearside rear wheel of the VX in three different types of oil/grease in the last week, I really need to at least make an effort to clean it all up. There's a nice layer of CV grease, followed by a good coating of engine oil and then topped off with a nice spray of gearbox oil. I've got a gallon of Meguiars Super Degreaser but even when used almost neat, it doesn't seem to do anything. Likewise, IME, Gunk is crap as well.

Anybody have any recommendations for a really good degreaser that I can just squirt over all of the affected areas and then hose or pressure wash off?

Hello

Thats sad to hear, Megs Super Degreaser is a product i would have recommended to use. How are you using it? Its would be effective in via a foaming head.

If the oil etc. has been obsorbed by a porus material such as paintwork, rubber hoses, fire proofing etc. then some soft brushes and and a foaming head on APC or SDG may help. But it would be pretty deep in so its unlikely to be very effective.

Have you run the engine? Getting everything hot means that will expand and possibly obsorb more oil, then when they cool contact not letting you to get it out.

If none of the above work (thought i would have thought SDG would have worked on the metal parts with a brush and a power hose?) look up a place that offers stream cleaning.

When you turn up they might tell you if its possible if you ask. I think an engine steam is about £12, a more pro job about £35. A local detailer would probably charge about £30-£40 to detail an engine, see if anyone is intreasted!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. It's probably me being lazy and wanting the product to do all the work for me but in the past the Super Degreaser hasn't been particularly effective, even with the foaming head and at 4:1.

Yes, the engine has most certainly been run. :( These were all incidents on track on Saturday. Temporary CV boot gave up and dumped some nice thick grease. Then oil filler cap came off and gave the engine and rear of the car a nice misting of engine oil. Then to round it off, the gearbox breather pipe came undone and I had the gearbox spraying a nice coating of oil (including onto the tyre which made handling a little interesting :eek:).

I'll persevere with Super Degreaser then and see whether I can persuade some of it to come off before resorting to the local Kosovan car wash. Not sure the wife is going to be overly impressed with the mess this is going to leave on the drive though.

Try Rock oil soluble oil cleaner best degreaser I have ever used - removes the gunk from the chain/sprockets of bikes so should work on your engine compartment. You will need to go to a motorbike shop for it & don't believe the bit about it being biodegradable as it killed my grass although to be fair it did grow back !