Info and spy pics of R32 replacement

News_Stig

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The R32 didn't come with DSG and Sunroof - Options which I personally would not be without. That's plus at least £2k without thinking of other options.

:cool:

I can live without the sunroof, but I would need leather and DSG so that would add £3kmin to the base price.

Does make the S3 look like a good buy+++

At £26k, £28k, or £30k, the R series Golf looks a seriously damn good buy. Haldex (hopefully), build quality and a very workable (and tunable) turbo engine makes its credentials for the hottest hatch, IMO.

What makes it better than a S3 in your eyes? I'm intriqued.

I'm obviously a fan of the V6 so can't get excited bout this R but I just this is a S3 with slightly worse build quality and a different body. Why pay the premium when you can get a discounted S3. It;s just as tunable

looks aside the Rocco R will probably be faster as it's going to be lighter with FWD but obviously with lesser traction.

Edited by Cuprabob

I'm obviously a fan of the V6 so can't get excited bout this R but I just this is a S3 with slightly worse build quality and a different body. Why pay the premium when you can get a discounted S3. It;s just as tunable

....Car buying decisions are totally irrational (just like choosing girlfriends or partners) - It's not just about price or even value-for-money. Neither is it just about performance. There are so many other indefinable factors at work and what appeals to an individual as eye-candy should never be under-estimated.

:cool:

What makes it better than a S3 in your eyes? I'm intriqued.

looks aside the Rocco R will probably be faster as it's going to be lighter with FWD but obviously with lesser traction.

Of course, it's all subjective. The R series Golf in my mind will be a far better offering than the S3 will ever be. I too am a fan of the V6 engine, but for me personally, what you'll get for you money far outweighs the Audi offering. I also believe the build quality to be equal to the S3 (I know many will disagree). More importantly, The S3 does nothing for me. I'm not that keen on the design as it's too tame and it's not that differentiated from the rest of it's range, whereas the R series Golf will be quite radical and hardcore which is the selling feature for me. I'm also a huge fan of the GTI 4-pot turbo block. At the end of the day, I am a GTi fan and the ultimate Golf appeals more and as a result, I'd be happy to pay for the brand and car that really gets my blood pumping. However, the Rocco I can't stand, whether it's in R form or not +++

Of course, it's all subjective. The R series Golf in my mind will be a far better offering than the S3 will ever be. I too am a fan of the V6 engine, but for me personally, what you'll get for you money far outweighs the Audi offering. I also believe the build quality to be equal to the S3 (I know many will disagree). More importantly, The S3 does nothing for me. I'm not that keen on the design as it's too tame and it's not that differentiated from the rest of it's range, whereas the R series Golf will be quite radical and hardcore which is the selling feature for me. I'm also a huge fan of the GTI 4-pot turbo block. At the end of the day, I am a GTi fan and the ultimate Golf appeals more and as a result, I'd be happy to pay for the brand and car that really gets my blood pumping. However, the Rocco I can't stand, whether it's in R form or not +++

Fair points Jon, we'll just have to wait and see. +++

I think Volkswagen are going in the right direction and these cars will sell.

Im still a hardcore MK4 fan... always will be. :grin:

I took the Audi S3 out for a few hours from my local dealership and it just didnt feel special for me, its a good car and agree its pretty tame/subtle. Each to their own and I agree with Red`s comments about everybody looking for different features/items/feelings in what car they want etc.

But when your reaching £30k for a small (hatchback) car it really is getting to the point where its becoming too expensive vs interior room etc. £30k could equal a 2nd hand Audi RS4? Anyway thats another avenue when considering a £30k hatchback.

For me if I had a spare £10-20k I would be coming straight for a HGP kit :grin: 400-500bhp 3.2 Turbo.

Riz :cool:

The jury's out. You can never really tell from these arty farty press shots. You just need a no-nonsense, non-airbrushed, non-arty farty photo to get a proper look. It took me a while to notice it wasn't the Scirocco R.

I reckon it's one of those cars that looks far better in the flesh - these shots probably don't do it justice. Bet it'll look good in silver and in carbon grey.

I see it's got the dreaded rear tints (stands to reason I suppose if the GT and GTI have them). Exhaust configuration much better than the GTI's 'wheelbarrow look'. I like the darkened LED rear lights and those 19" rollers aren't too shabby either. Looking forward to seeing a 'proper' photo of it to consider whether I'm officially a fan.

If it's the same money as an S3, at the moment I think I'd rather have the Audi.

0-60 in 5.5secs! Suspension 25mm lower than GTI!...

Taken from Top Gear website:

"The covers have just come off the new VW Golf R in Frankfurt. Don't be fooled by its understated looks, this is one monstrously fast hot hatch.

It's the fastest Golf ever, in fact, powered by the same 266bhp 2.0-litre turbo engine found in the Audi S3. It'll propel the four-wheel-drive Golf to 62mph in 5.5 seconds if you spec the DSG transmission, or 0.2 seconds slower if you'd prefer a manual ’box.

That's more powerful and quicker than both the front-wheel-drive Scirocco R and indeed the old Golf R32, which had a bigger, heavier 3.2-litre V6. Emissions and economy are both hugely improved on the old R32, consumption falling from 26.4mpg to 33.2mph, with CO2 emissions down to 199g/km from 225g/km.

Though visual, er, enhancements over the Golf GTI remain subtle - new front and rear bumpers, LED running lights and central exhausts being the most obvious - the suspension has been lowered by 25mm while the ESP has been revised with two additional track settings.

Because of the four-wheel-drive hardware, the Golf R weighs in around 80kg heavier than the GTI, though 35kg lighter than the R32.

Don't expect to see many on the road: VW says it expects to sell just 500 or so Golf Rs per year, with prices starting at around £28,500."