Need for Speed: Shift

Andy_Bangle

Press Release:

Need for Speed: Shift has added a Car Battle mode that pits some of the fastest, fittest, downright nastiest machinery out there in head-to-head matchups. Fifteen different matchups are possible with cars like the Ford GT going against the Dodge Viper, Cayman and M3 sports car racers battling it out, and Murcielago and DBRS GT-class cars going for honors. The point is to pit unmodified cars against one another to find out which car -- and which driver -- is the business. The game is due out next week. You can check out the video after the jump to start figuring out which cars you want to go showdown with...

nfss_car_battle.jpg

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMAaQiLJi70&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMAaQiLJi70&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Got this today and its really really good. Handling is excellent and adds to the fun rather than take it away on some.

You can set it up so that its a real sim type game or leave some of the assistance and don't go for the top AI and its cracking fun.

I got a new Logitech EX driving wheel and it adds to the fun and works on the sofa with the lap attachment.

So far enjoying more than Gran Turismo for the racing. +++

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's a demo now.

I was in Tesco this afternoon and couldn't resist buying this game. I can always trade it in when Forza III is out.

There was a little surprise for me in the box, though. There was a silver card, that nearly got thrown in the bin, and I've won a gaming wheel. :jump:

I think it's a Tesco promotion - 202 winning tickets in the box. 200 (silver ticket) gaming wheels and 2 x Fiat 500 for a gold ticket.

I've no idea what wheel it is. I can't find any information about the competition. I have to fill in a card and send it off to claim my prize. I guess it was worth buying the game afterall. :grin:

almost bought this on sat but was told by the staff in game it was poo?

They haven't got a clue what they are talking about.

So far its been brilliant for me, driving a veryon around the Ring is very special indeed, sounds great and is super fast. Or how about a Zonda R around the ring whilst racing a CCX, or Mclaren F1 vs Mrclaren SLR 722.... the list goes on.

The only issue I've found is the odd high level car had a strange handling trait that made it bounce somehow, has only happened with one car in one race but that was one of the teir 5/6 cars or races I think.

Other than that its brilliant and the car / sound / handling balance etc. works a treat as does tweaking the handling when you are driving your own car.

Oh and the graphics are good. +++

Try these settings:

I found this whilst browsing some other forums, i don't have the game so haven't tried it. Second point is interesting.

"These are the settings getting passed about at the moment:

There is now a 2nd fix for the sensitive steering/oversteer problem this game exhibits in its default settings. And let me tell you it is a NIGHT and DAY difference.

Please use 2nd fix along with the original thread suggestions on turning down sensitivity in the control options.

I have posted the original sensitivity config here:

Steering Dead Zone-15%

Accel Dead Zone-10%

Brake Dead Zone-10%

Steering sensitivity-5%

Acell Sensitivity -5%

Brake sensitivity-5%

Speed steering Sensitivity 100%

On to the 2nd fix:

At the main menu enter CAR GARAGE----> TUNING, press 'Y' to enter quick tuning mode.

Under the heading 'balance' move the slider all the way to OVERSTEER. That's right oversteer. Apparently the developer labeled this slider wrong or its a glitch. Turning the slider to oversteer will actually add understeer.

Now go drive. as you can see the cars are now more comparible to the feeling of Forza2 and RacePro. It may not be as good but it is now close! There was a sim hidden somewhere in all this mess and I may have to take back some to the nasty things I said beforehand"

• 2 months later...

Really, GRID on the PS3 was appalling for me first racing game I've ever returned.

GRID on the PC was great however and felt totally different. I'm now playing with a wheel that improves the who experience of the game, enjoying it more than the Gran Turismo has even been at the moment. +++

I'd been playing it on the PC for a while and decided that it would be better to play it on the PC. Started it and the handling felt totally different and I use the same pad, was really disappointed with it.

NFS Shift on the other hand was great in the first few tiers but the handling was rubbish in the top few, but the patch that was released has sorted all that out. Sound is brilliant on it and you can have great fun throwing the car around. Not playing it as an out and out sim though just an Arcade game really.

I should try it in the expert handling and see what its like but I'm just having fun playing it so can't be bothered really. +++:eclipse:

Is there any way you can have a 2 player mode on this?

I'm completely new to PS3s and we've just got one.

We've got 2 controllers - can they race each other at the same time and if so, how the feck do you set it up, it's driving me nuts!

Cheers.

Edit - Google reckons there is no 2 player split screen mode for the game. What a pile of poo. 'Family fun'? Load of tosh.

Edited by Milo