Need for a VW Transporter Forum ?

dazmondo

I Own an awsom T5 174 T32 beast, and im sure that most of you know someone who has a VW sportline or something simlar ? FFS, a friend of mine has a T5 130 chipped to 300 BHP It`s awsom, pull up along side some Modern Chav in his ST and blow him away, he also knows of at least 40-50 others down here in the South West with Transporters with serious Mods, anyone who has driven a Transporter will agree they are awsome.

So come on Moderators cundger up a forum for us Major Oil Burners !

p.s. Still av the R32 to keep my sanity planted in me pants hidden away and im sure any other Transporter owner will have something similar under lock and key somewhere just for those critical days of frustration for the need of corner G force

Almost bought a 170bhp sportline to have as a multi seater taxi, it was great to drive, and indecently quick, but (all things being relative), quick for a van.

I don't care what it's chipped to (but anyone who thinks they have an extra 170bhp through chipping alone is deluded) your never going to worry much more than your average focus, let alone an ST.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you not tried the T5 forum at The Brick Yard?

Has your mate with the 300hp T5 uprated the turbo,clutch, flywheel, brakes, etc, or is he just intent on getting as much power out of his engine for a short while until it goes bang?

I have a Sportline and 174 hp is enough for me. I'm only a stones throw from you too.

I`ve heard rumours that theres a T5 upgrade comming next year ? 3 ltr Twin turbo 215 bhp and possibly looking at 35-40 mpg, I think there puttting the emphasis more on the MPG rather than the performance, gona be placing an order if they do, then give the 174 to my foreman.

Unfortunately not mate. The facelift will be available early next year. The front end is a little different but not that much. The pisser is that VW have developed a scrawny 2.0 ltr CRD engine with 4 (I think) different power outputs ranging from 85 - 180 hp. I don't have much faith in it myself. Can you imagine a 180 hp 2.0 ltr pulling 3 tonnes of van lasting very long? I can't.

I was hoping for a 3.0 ltr TDi Sportline as I would have had my name down for one, but that's not going to happen.

Have you re-mapped any T5 130`s some of them are 4 motions, aparently they take better to being re-mapped than the 174`s, freind of mine has one mapped to 205 bhp little bit thristy is his only complaint, ive had my 174 upto 130 mph and to be honest how much faster do you want to go in a van than that !!!!!

Have you heard any news on the New 3.0 ltr twin turbo being installed next year ? will be one the first to order when they do.

My local stealer thinks its funny that Joe public get information before they do on certain issues LOL !!!

No 3.0 ltr twin turbo mate. Here's the text from the press release.

New generation of the Transporter, Multivan, Caravelle and California:

New versions of the best-selling series begin in autumn 2009

New Common Rail TDI drops fuel consumption by up to 1.9 litres

New front design in keeping with the stylistically refined Volkswagen Design DNA

New infotainment and driver assist systems for optimum comfort and safety

New generation of ESP including the hill-start assistant comes as standard in all vehicles

Hanover, 19th August 2009. The Transporter, Caravelle, Multivan and California – these are the four basic versions of an internationally best-selling vehicle so popular that is has sold in the millions. For its huge fan base, people like service providers, trades people, families, business people and globe trotters, these multi-talented vehicles are an automotive way-of-life, a symbol for endless mobility and variety. A few weeks after the Multivan and California are premiered at the IAA in Frankfurt in September 2009, a new generation of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle’s successful models will hit the roads. The new perfected version gives out even fewer emissions as well as being more efficient, economical, comfortable, elegant, intelligent and safer than ever before. Advance sales for all four basic versions will start at the IAA.

Refinement and high-tech features fit for a bestseller

The bestseller’s body design is now in line with Volkswagen’s new Design DNA. The new front design shows off the series in an even more elegant light. The series, which is known as the T5 by Volkswagen employees, has also been given a huge technical boost. Take the engines for example: the new Turbo diesel engines (TDI) are more efficient, exceptionally quiet and now fitted with a Common Rail Injection system. Thanks to the new TDI, fuel consumption levels have decreased by up to 1.9 litres and CO2 emissions have dropped by 52 g/km, so that all engines now fulfil the EU5 emission standards. What’s more, the new versions come with an optional 7-gear dual clutch gearbox (DSG) - an international first for this class of vehicle! As another optional extra, you can have the new four-wheel drive function (4Motion with 4th generation Haldex coupling), which allows you to drive off-road. Another revolutionary highlight from the new models is that, from the start of the year, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will be offering a 4Motion version in conjunction with DSG. Safety features have been further improved thanks to the standard hill-start assistant, refined ESP, a new hazard warning light for the brake lights (emergency brake lights) and new optional driver assist systems. In addition, the interior is fitted with new instruments, steering wheels, radio/navigation systems and textures on top of ergonomic perfection.

Four new Common Rail TDI and dual clutch gearboxes

With the new four-cylinder diesel engines with Common Rail Injection, the best-selling series in both Germany and Europe sets new benchmarks for both its economy and its kindness to the environment. The TDI (1,968 cm³) comes as either 62 kW / 84 PS, 75 kW / 102 PS, 103 kW / 140 PS or 132 kW /180 PS. The 140 PS engine is boosted by a turbocharger with variable turbine geometry, while Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has fitted a two-stage charger with bi-turbocharger in the top of the range 180 PS. This form of downsizing means that, for the first time in the Volkswagen Group, a compression ignition engine is being used in a vehicle of this performance range.

The greatest feature is the fuel-saving capacity. It is the first time in the world that a transporter, van or touring vehicle has been equipped with a 7-gear dual clutch gearbox (DSG), which allows fuel consumption in the 180 PS version to drop by up to 1.9 litres when compared with the previous 6-gear automatic. In the meantime, the 85 kW / 115 PS petrol engine will be carried over and now complies with EU5 emission standards. Compared to previous generations, Volkswagen were able to decrease CO2 emissions and fuel consumption levels by an average of 10 percent across the whole range. In vehicles with a manual gearbox and front-wheel drive, the CO2 emissions and fuel consumption levels* range from 7.2 litres / 190 g/km CO2 (84 PS and 102 PS) to 7.5 litres / 190 g/km CO2 (180 PS): that’s up to 0.9 litres less than ever before.

All four diesel engines respond extremely quickly and almost as soon as you have left idling speed as well! Even the smallest TDI engine with 84 PS has a maximum torque of 220 Newton metres from just 1,250 rpm. The 102 PS version goes to 250 Newton metres from 1,500 rpm, the 140 PS TDI hits a high of 340 Newton metres from 1,750 rpm while the 180 PS TDI propels into the crankshaft with an impressive 400 Newton metres from 1,500 rpm. And of course all versions are fitted with a particle filter.

The Multivan and Co. on track with the new Volkswagen Design DNA

Alongside other new design features, the new generations really stand out with a completely modified front end. Clear, horizontal lines give the series a timeless, elegant appearance. The ribs on the radiator grille are all black. In the Transporter (panel van, kombi, drop-side), Caravelle Trendline and California Beach the ribs are in matt black. Whereas the Caravelle Comfortline, Multivan (recreational and business van) and the California Comfortline (touring van) all feature black, high gloss ribs, each highlighted with a chrome stripe. The top stripe is visibly extended so that it stretches into the newly designed headlights. Also, for the first time, the newly designed fog lights in the rear bumper will act as static cornering lights as well. The rears of the Caravelle, Multivan and California have changed since the previous versions as they now have new rear lights which are in keeping the current Design DNA.

New driver assist systems and additional standard equipment

Depending on the vehicle’s equipment level, the new models are decked out with new 17" and 18" alloy wheels as well as new exterior mirrors, refined for improved aerodynamics. And for the first time, the exterior mirrors house the entire antenna system. As another ground-breaking feature in this class, the best-selling vehicles are now available with the Side Assist lane change assistant. As seen in the Touareg, this system uses LEDs in the exterior mirrors to warn the driver of any vehicles in the blind spot. What else is new: the tyre monitor display (TMD). The TMD constantly analyses how quickly the tyres are rotating. By comparing the different speeds, the system detects when the tyre pressure has dropped.

More new features: the Multivan Comfortline now comes with 16" alloy wheels. The Multivan Highline is now equipped with new 17" alloy wheels as well as chrome trims on the sides and rear.

The interior which crosses the bridge to passenger vehicles

The models’ interiors have been completely re-worked. Take the instruments for example: With a new design, they are lit in white from behind and highlighted by a chrome frame. Each of the new generation’s models will come with a gear shift recommendation display. The entire collection of radio and navigation systems has also been updated. The new top of the range device is the RNS 510 with touch screen and hard-drive navigation. The optional Dynaudio sound system delivers magnificent concert-hall acoustics. The USB interface, Media-IN, allows you to connect any devices, such as MP3 players, quickly and easily. New features on board are the controls for the semi- and fully-automatic air conditioning systems and the three-spoke steering wheels. Many of the versions have had some additions to their standard equipment. The Multivan Startline has seen some great improvements: for example, compared to the previous model, the new basic model now has a full trim interior and side and curtain airbags for the driver and front passenger. The finished bumper, which comes as standard, highlights the fact that the Startline is a member of the Multivan family.

Last but not least, the Transporter can be ordered with a new double front passenger seat bench which includes an integrated folding stowage compartment. And all this is coming soon: the new generations will be launched in the middle of October.

* = Fuel consumption and emissions levels taken from a closed Transporter with short wheelbase and normal roof

I'd give it a while if I were you to see if they have any teething problems. I don't like the idea of a pissy little 2 litre engine, remapped to 180 hp, trying to pull 3 tonnes of loaded van about.

Erm ? + 1 tonne for my metal security boxes of tools which are bolted down well and truely, only have taken them out twice, once i had a burn up that big long hill in St Austell with an MR2, funny as feck he tried his best to burn me but kept him well and truely sniffin soot.

Dam thing is leathal when empty, would love to put it on a track just for curiosity !

I think you need to look up power to weight ratios, you aren't going to be challenging anything remotely sporty in a van.

Mate Iv`e got an R32 aswell, but would prefer to drive the Van any day, Have you ever driven one of these sportlines ? my T32 has stiffer springs and handles very very well + does 130mph what more do you want.

Here's how I see it. I drive a Sportline, it's quick for a van, but not car quick. The manufacturers figures for performance are 117mph top speed, and about 12seconds 0-60. I've had 120 out of my van, on the speedo, which, if I look at my satnav says 117. I've timed my 0-60 several times and reckon it's a tad over 10 seconds. Talking with several other 174 owners and a VW employee, no matter what the conditions, it's nigh on impossible to get more than 120 out of the vans, which leads us to the conclusion that they are governed. The performance of my van does surprise other car owners, especially when they accelerate away from you and you keep up. There is nothing more satisfying than to dust some boy racer in his Saxo or 306, but if they have a GTi, the only way you are going to beat them is if they bottle it once they get to three figures.

If the hill you refer to in St Austell Dazmondo is hamburger Hill at Fraddon, then I believe that hill was made for T5 174s to piss other road users off.

BTW. The New T5.1 Sportline should be available from march 2010.

Edited by Tony M
Missed out some info.

Mate Iv`e got an R32 aswell, but would prefer to drive the Van any day, Have you ever driven one of these sportlines ? my T32 has stiffer springs and handles very very well + does 130mph what more do you want.

I've driven several, in fact, my company has several of them, most are not sportline, but have the same 174 engine.

You simply aren't going to be surprising anything other than shopping cars with 1.1 engines, even a standard 1.6 Focus will show you van a clean pair of heels.

Seriously, work out the power to weight ratio and it's looooow!

Loving the R32 though, and amazed you'd rather drive the van, the T32's are nice, but they are still vans!

Quick for a van yes (or a mk2 turbo Golf :P ), and certainly quicker than my Galaxy, but thats all i'm saying, it's all relative.

Torque in a diesel is great, for the first few seconds of any gear, then it runs out, which is where you want the power to keep accelerating.

I'm going to have to take the Sportline out for a decent blast, just to make sure my memory isn't fading with age!

I'm going to have to take the Sportline out for a decent blast, just to make sure my memory isn't fading with age!

Mate come down ear I`l take you for a blast in my empty T32 174, like I said it handles much better than the sportline coz the suspension is more Torte to cope with the capable 1.5 tonne payload.

Just wondering whether to order another 174 with the current 5 clyd 2.5 ltr before they bring in the new 4 clyd 1.9 ltr 180, personaly I think with that engine its gona sound naff and the toque band is going to be soooooooooooooo narrow. At least the 5 clyd sounds like it performs, just wondering why they didnt chuck in the 3.0 ltr 6 clyd with continent shifting power figues, I bet Merc Vito`s response will be to fit with something like a 320D, but there again I have never heard anyone say a good thing about the Vito, everyone I know with one has some kind of ongoing dealer issue.

Wont it be a 2.0? didn't think VW used the old 1.9 anymore?

It wont be PD anyway, it'll be common rail which means it wont feel anywhere near as torquey or responsive as the old 1.9pd did.

Shame VW are dropping the 5 cylinder, but it's all about emissions these days, so the same power from a 4 cylinder is a no brainer, just a shame it loses that character at the same time.

Mate come down ear I`l take you for a blast in my empty T32 174, like I said it handles much better than the sportline coz the suspension is more Torte to cope with the capable 1.5 tonne payload.

Just wondering whether to order another 174 with the current 5 clyd 2.5 ltr before they bring in the new 4 clyd 1.9 ltr 180, personaly I think with that engine its gona sound naff and the toque band is going to be soooooooooooooo narrow. At least the 5 clyd sounds like it performs, just wondering why they didnt chuck in the 3.0 ltr 6 clyd with continent shifting power figues, I bet Merc Vito`s response will be to fit with something like a 320D, but there again I have never heard anyone say a good thing about the Vito, everyone I know with one has some kind of ongoing dealer issue.

I don't know where you get your figures from, but it certainly isn't VW.

The new T5.1 engine is a 2.0 ltr Common Rail diesel, with the most powerful variant being 180PS twin turbo (that's where all the extra power's coming from) and having exactly the same torque figure of 400Nm as the 2.5 174PS current T5 engine. The 3.0ltr TDi engine currently manufactured by VAG won't physically fit into a T5 because it can't be mounted transversely like the current engine range, which is a pity because i'd have one like a shot.

So have you had your T32 beast lowered with the uprated springs, or are you just of the opinion that if your suspension is heavier duty to accommodate the extra 150kg it can carry over the T30s 1128kg, then it must handle better than a Sportline with it's lower suspension and centre of gravity?

Sometimes it helps to know a little bit about the vehicle you are driving around in, rather than just making it up to try and impress people.

So have you had your T32 beast lowered with the uprated springs, or are you just of the opinion that if your suspension is heavier duty to accommodate the extra 150kg it can carry over the T30s 1128kg, then it must handle better than a Sportline with it's lower suspension and centre of gravity?

Sometimes it helps to know a little bit about the vehicle you are driving around in, rather than just making it up to try and impress people.

About six months after buying the T32 I added all the sportline extras,wheels, bumpers, rails, spoilers & suspension, but after about two weeks I found that the sportline suspension didnt have the same capability to carry equipment and the handling wasnt much different so swapped back to the origional. Also have swapped back the bumpers as so many scratches started to appear from being parked on different sites, they are easy to come by nowadays so if I change my mind to sell it they can be added to fetch a top price.

Edited by dazmondo