BMW messing me around?

SINGH

I dropped the 335 off at BMW today so they could look at two faults, the first being the auto lights being on all the time, even in bright sunlight. When I dropped it off the service advisor said thats normal they work of ultra Violet light. The second was the lights always steam every morning or when I wash the car, so much so its like a sauna and I cannot see the bulbs through the glass (my car has xenons). It looks so stupid! The service advisor also said this is normal, I said I still want them to check and just got a call now saying that they throughly checked everything and its fine, they said the auto lights are fine but they just need to adjust the sensitivity which they want to charge me £250 for. But when I got the car they only used to come on when dark or when I drove into a petrol station? Are BMW trying to fob me off and what can I say to get them to sort it. They are adamant that everything is normal when I know for a fact it isn't. Shall I refuse to pick up the car and keep the loan car until they do? Any advice much appreciated... +++

I find the lights are very keen to turn on even in reasonably bright conditions but still that doesn't sound right.

I'd argue that :

a) the need for adjustment seems unreasonable -surely its a photosensor with a set level of ambient light to determine ON/OFF. Can't imagine these are adjustable anyway - if anything, its probably a new sensor (warranty?)

b) Secondly, £250 for any sort of adjustment is plain daft.

Went over to BMW and they said they are not steaming up and he told me to contact BMW hq, so out I went to get the car and they had just washed it, the lights were full of condensation, the service advisor said put the Xenons on and it will dissapear, drove for an hour with then on and it got worse. Took the car back and they got the tech out to explain it to me but he was a very nice bloke and was on my side, and told me not to back down, I didn't and they agreed to keep the car overnight and gave me a lift

home. If the problems there in the morning they will

replace the both whole headlight unit, v. Expensive apparently that's why they want to avoid this. The £250 sensor thing is a joke, but not to bothered about that. Always been happy with BMW and the service has still been light years ahead of Audis.

Well the car went to BMW this morning and I got a call to say it was ready at 5PM. So I went to pick it up and you wouldn't believe it but the brand new headlamps were also misted up. The service advisor said go for a drive and they will clear up, I didn't believe this but it was closing time and I wasn't in the mood to argue.. So off I drove home when suddenly the Xenons failed on me (very dark now nearly 6PM) so I turned it around and went back to the dealership. They couldn't work out what was wrong so gave me a 118D M Sport loaner car and said expect a call soon! I also bumped into the technician last night the one they got to come out and explain to me why they wouldn't be replacing the lights we were in a club and he was pretty pissed but even he said that BMW were having a laugh and they only agreed to replace them because he steamed up the lights and sent pics down to HQ saying they needed changing!

(If anyones wandering if they did actually change the headlamps, yes they did, because the old ones were covered in mini stone chippings and the new ones were completely smooth)

Well the car went to BMW this morning and I got a call to say it was ready at 5PM. So I went to pick it up and you wouldn't believe it but the brand new headlamps were also misted up. The service advisor said go for a drive and they will clear up, I didn't believe this but it was closing time and I wasn't in the mood to argue.. So off I drove home when suddenly the Xenons failed on me (very dark now nearly 6PM) so I turned it around and went back to the dealership. They couldn't work out what was wrong so gave me a 118D M Sport loaner car and said expect a call soon! I also bumped into the technician last night the one they got to come out and explain to me why they wouldn't be replacing the lights we were in a club and he was pretty pissed but even he said that BMW were having a laugh and they only agreed to replace them because he steamed up the lights and sent pics down to HQ saying they needed changing!

(If anyones wandering if they did actually change the headlamps, yes they did, because the old ones were covered in mini stone chippings and the new ones were completely smooth)

I think they must be faulty as well, or fitted incorrectly (which shuld be unlikely :o) I would be inclined to change dealership once this is sorted, if in fact they do sort it, sounds to me they aint very competent.

The service I usually get from the dealership is really very good, I prefer them to my other local dealer. I rang today to see if I could have my car back but they still can't get to the bottom of it! I think they might have to replace the headlamp again :confused: Oh well, Got a 450 mile round trip journey later though which means I'll be putting the miles on the loan car! :grin

See how it goes. I'd have thought that it's quite posible to have some damp in brand new headlamps as they could have got a little atmospheric damp in whilst fitting (bulb holes etc). This should disappear after using the lamps a bit. My Golf gets a slight mistiness to them when I wash the car and this disappears within a day or so.

I've not experienced good service from BMW either - pretty hopeless actually.

Now Ive been patient but about to join a motorway in the 335 and the xenons failed on me! Called BMW dealer and they couldn't care less saying " what, can't you see?"

Newborn baby in the car so I told them they better sort it. Waiting fir them to turn up with a loan car now and to take mine back! Writing on my I Phone will give more details when I get home.

They gave me a pretty standard 116D (only got 36 miles on it!) Then the guy drove off with my car, one Xenon had flickered into life now. Still dangerous though...

I rang BMW on Saturday and they said that they couldn't work it out and they would have to wait until Monday to properly check the car over as they were closing blah blah. Got a call at 8.30 today and they wanted the loan car back and they said my cars fine. They said they spent two hours on it and nothing was wrong so I said hold on. Its 8.30 and you have just opened, how could you have possibly spent two hours on it? Stuttering followed and then they asked for the loan car back, I said no I was nowhere near the local dealership and wasn't going to come back just so they could have their car back, then they said okay we can come and pick it up wherever you are but I said 'No, I need it'.

Tomorrow they are going to call me again and tell me the misty headlights are 'Normal' and that they have checked the car for the lights only to fail again. What shall I do? Just keep hold of the loan car until mines back? Its annoying because the loan car lacks all the extras and grunt mine has. The misty headlights are also really taking the f*cking piss because all they keep saying is 'its normal' there is NO OTHER car on that forecourt with misted up lights!

A call to BMW customer services saying you are very dis-satisfied with the dealers efforts and they have clearly lied when they said they worked on it for 2 hours. I have found that BMW HQ intervention is the only way to make the dealers take things serious as they are coming under pressure from another party.

Just caught up with this thread oh my are they messing you about.

A light might mist up a bit on some occasions but not that much and certainly not for that long, play hard ball and get it sorted. When you pick it up get them to spray the lights and see if they still have a problem.

Hope it gets sorted soon. +++

Mate, sorry to hear about the service (or lack of) you've been receiving. (Are you sure it's not a Vauxhall dealership???;))

I think you've hit the nail on the head though - keep the loan car, as it gives them a genuine reason to get your Xenon's sorted, and get BMW HQ involved ASAP.

Failing that, get the dealership manager lined up on the forecourt, and reverse that 6 cylinder bad boy all over him. Repeatedly.:roflmao:

Good luck, keep us posted...

Got a call from the dealer saying it was fixed and they are coming to drop it off then another one half an hour later saying the lights had just failed on the driver and they are taking it back, on a flatbed I hope! This 1 Series is starting to grow on me though.. Looks tiny parked next to the S8.

Edited by SINGH