"Dusty" microfibres after washed

davyk31

I recently washed a load of my microfibre cloths, drying towels and waffle weave towels. Used some of them today and they seem really dusty is the best description. When I rub it against a window for example they leave a really dusty residue. Whats gone wrong ?

My drying towels aren't quite as bad but again a residue is clearly visible after rubbing over the car.

Have you used powder or liquid non-bio wash? Maybe used too much powder?

I add some white vinegar to the rinse cycle (sometimes wash cycle as well if contaminated with sealants). Finished with some tumble drying, the cloths come out super soft and clean with no dust / residue.

I'd recommend perhaps less detergent and try adding an egg cup full of vinegar to the rinse cycle (conditioner part of the detergent drawer)

Good points from TT. I was going to add, sometimes you can get one cloth very dirty and the wash does not get it fully cleaned and it just ends up getting caught in the other cloths.

Prehapes something "linty" got caught up in the wash? Are any of the MFs new?

One thing i had once with normal washing was that my exit pipe was starting to get clogged. So the washing machine was not fully able to take the water away at the right speed to suck down the debris. Some water and material/residue was remaining in the washing machine.

Not notice to much on normal clothes as they were wet coming out and get moved around and put on the line and in the dryer. However things that went to the airing cupboard including my MFs had dust/"bits" in them.

Geoff

I used powder type non bio, two tablets so maybe too much and yes there was one new waffle weave in there too. I just let them dry hanging out, perhaps should also have used the tumble dryer to fluff them up a bit.

Do you guys use powder or liquid non bio ?

Would brown vinegar be ok ? Thats whats in the cupboard !

I use liquid non-bio. I buy the cheapest Teso'c own stuff as it has no added conditioners / brighteners etc.

I always tumble dry my MF's (low temp) as I find it really softens them and separates to fibres. I think brown vinegar would be fine although i've always been recommended white for some unknown reason.

It's interesting you use tablet powder. I've found with clothing that they take a long while to break wown in the wash, especially at 30 degrees.

I wash my MF's usually at 30 or 40 degrees but if I have been exposing them to strong sealents then I have occasionally upped the temp to 60 with no issues.

I find living in an exteremly hard water area if I don't tumble my mf's they dry worryingly hard!

Washed last night with the new detergent and when they came out you could just tell they were still full of soapy stuff, guess the towels absorb so much as that is their purpose. Put them in for a rinse and a spin but still no better. Put the machine on this morning for a wash without any detergent to see how they get on ............. if none of this works looks like I need to buy new towels!