Yellow "glue" substance leaked from wheel valve

davyk31

Washed the car the other day and parked in garage as normal. Went out the next morning and found a bright yellow mark on the alloy wheel where some liquid had leaked from around the valve and ran down to the ground. Luckily the valve was sitting at dead centre bottom of the wheel so its just caused a straight stain. Tried to remove with a cloth, nothing moved, it seems to be kinda staining the alloy as its not really sitting proud of the surface. Tried some SRP polish, tried clay, tried tar remover but nothing has helped.

I do not know what this is but its bright yellow and smells very strong like glue. Any ideas what it could be and how to remove. car hasn't moved and there is still some leaking out but I have stuffed the valve area with paper towel so it hasn't caused any more damage but bit worried about what happens when I drive, does any residue spray out around the wheel?

I bought the wheels newly refurbed from Ebay so cant see it was stuffed with tyre weld gunk or anything like that as the guy told me he fitted the tyres to the wheels but who knows.

I've no idea what it might be but I'm thinking it's coming out of the valve hole in the wheel because it's at the bottom. I'm wondering if it would come out if the valve was at the top?

Strange that clay or SRP wont remove it. Perhaps try some IPA on a cloth or tar remover.

Another consideration is what this solventy smelling gunk is doing to the rubber valve and the tyre!

Yes I did worry about what its doing to the valve and its seal to the wheel. Did check the pressure and its fine.

Have tried Tar Remover and its no good. The guy who sold the wheels said to try Tcut or Autosol as he hasn't a clue what the stuff is either but surely either of those will damage the painted surface of the wheel?

What is IPA ........ I am sure I should know !

Hi

What kind of tar remover are you using? Some of the spray ones are weak, the Autoglym one that is a thin, solventy liquid should work if its meltable with solvent.

IPA is a mix of alchol and water.

Im wondering if its some kind of glue used for the wheel weights? Or even yellow line paint that was picked up before?

Autosol is a metal polish, take care on using it on clearcoated alloy wheels. Occasionally people apply a gentle coat before shows as it clears up the clearcoat. There are better choices of mild abrasives then T-Cut, ScratchX is worth a look.

Have you tried clay? Is the "yellow" raised?

Geoff

Does seem to be some kind of tyre sealant but why would it be in there.

Seems unlikely this is something picked up from driving as its only apparent around the valve and is leaking out from the inside it seems. If it stops then thats ok i just need to deal with the stain but if it carries on then the problem will keep reappearing.

Explain more about the releasing some air when the valve is at the bottom, will this release more of this fluid and then do I put back to normal operating pressure.

As regards Geoff's comments, it was the Autoglym tar remover I was using and it did not move it. No the yellow is really a stain in the paint of the wheel and as such is not raised. Tried Sonus green clay but no help.

It seems like you have tried alot. Guessing from what you have said it seems like the "yellow" is some kind of staining. The wheels are normal UK clearcoated, not American style chrome or polished metal?

If they are the normal UK type wheel, then the clear coat will be porus, thats how the stain has got in there. To remove the stain you will need to clean "under the surface".

I would advise a dedicated paintwork polish, an example would be PoorBoys Pro Polish or Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 1. Put your finger underneath a MF cloth and apply a pea side blob to the area of the MF covering your finger top and massage it in. It might take a few goes, some staining never clears up.

You can try Super Resin Polish if you have it, although its quite thick and its hard for it get in to the super tight pores of the paintwork.

After using a paintwork cleaner always wax, or on the wheels, its preferble to seal them!

If there is etching then i suspect you might have to give it a wet sand then respray with some allow wheel paint.

Geoff

Thanks for the replies, yes the wheels are the normal painted finish. I have tried Super Resin Polish but hasn't really done much. some of those other products sound like the job, where can I buy them and I assume they are all largish bottles which is a bit of a waste when I only need a small bit.

Meg Scratch X was mentioned earlier, is it similar to any of these products as I have a bottle of it at home.

Hi

Yeah unfortunalty they are all in bigger containers. ScratchX was more reasonable when i thougth that prehapes you could "feel" the yellow stuff. Paint on wheels can be strange, i would advance with caution using ScratchX, personally i would still use it, just becareful!

When you say the Super Resin Polish has not done anything, do you mean there is no change or a bit of a change? If its working a bit then stick it, you would really need to work it hard as SRP is quite thick. Do you have Klasses All In One or Carlack to hand?

If its making no difference, it might be the case that that nothing will and it has well and truely stained the clearcoat.

SRP and ScratchX both contain an abrasive, thats why they are bit thick. A thiner liquid cleaner might work out better.

Geoff

TT has the right link.

YOu can use it anytime you want to remove old product from the surface of the paintwork. Once applied you can top it straight away with your choice of sealant or wax.

After application you can leave it for 45 mins before buffing and it will lay down some nano-sealant properties.

It gives a clear, thin, glassy type look to the paintwork.

Typically its followed by a few layers of Klasses Sealant or Jeffs Arylic Trigger or Carlack Long Life sealant. Though, IMO Jeffs is the only one worth it as the other two are hassle.

You can also use the AIO/Carlack to prep for other sealants such as Zaino Z2 or Z5.

Geoff

I know this is cheeky but don't suppose anyone has a bottle of this stuff or similar who could sell me a small quantity to do my job. As I probably wont use the stuff again buying a large bottle for £9 and then having to spend £8 on delivery it becomes a bit pricey for the tiny bit that I need.

I know this is cheeky but don't suppose anyone has a bottle of this stuff or similar who could sell me a small quantity to do my job. As I probably wont use the stuff again buying a large bottle for £9 and then having to spend £8 on delivery it becomes a bit pricey for the tiny bit that I need.

Unfortunately i've never tried any of this stuff, otherwise I would have gladly sent you a sample. :)

Hi

IM away on business right now but when i get back i can see if i have a little sample bottle and get some to you. If you go to detailing world there is a guy who sells samples.

Keep trying with the SRP, if its only a bit duller that might be the visual effects of SRP rather then its cleaning power.

The Deep Crystal Paintwork Cleaner is pretty good, it would work better then SRP. I cant remeber how thin it is but with some work and several applications it would soon work if its going too.

Geoff