Coding a battery

jimbutler

As per my posts in the A8 forum, I replaced the battery on my car. Not an OEM battery so doesn't have an Audi part no to code in via VAG-COM. The car continually thinks it has a flat battery.

As the new battery was same (or higher) capacity than the old one I basically recoded it with the original battery info. Should that work? If not what would?

It could of course be a bad battery or the control module playing up. Anyone have any tips?

Jim

I was tempted to go after market on my B6 S4 when it needed a new one. I eventually went to the dealer as it was only about £35 (IIRC) and that included fitting it.

It was just as well as I had the same issue as you. They sorted it all out but if I'd done what I was planning (drive to battery place and do it outside) then I'd have been stuffed.

I don't recall what they had to do but they said they had to do a few things to get it back.

Sorry I can't help more (or at all :o).

I never knew certain cars had to have their batteries coded! If you had asked me before this thread i would have thought someone was taking the piss!

What cars does this apply to?

On my 2003 8L S3 i just went to Halford's and got a new one. Bolted it in job done.

Audi said that the don't always need to plug it in and tweak it but that it also wasn't that rare. I don't know what settings it lost (perhaps readiness settings etc) but it does happen and the question is if you do it yourself will you get stranded.

Also the other reason I didn't is that the battery position on the B6 and I guess B7 makes it really tough for one person to do

So if i needed to to have the battery changed in my 2006 B7 A4, i would need some sort of recode from Auid????

NO, recoding is ONLY needed for cars with MMI - and since the B6/B7 don't have MMI yours won't need it.

When you change the battery on a B6/B7 some sensors need recalibrating (I think that's what Scotty is thinking of) such as G85.