R4 card for DSi

cabby

The R4 has been blocked for the DSi iirc. There is a new version out, though, cunningly titled R4i.

Regardless, they are a bypass of any cartridge security; they fit in the normal slot with a piggyback slot for a mini SD card; you appropriate a ROM, copy it onto the SD, put it in and away you go.

It's very naughty, and you should never copy games.

The R4 has been blocked for the DSi iirc. There is a new version out, though, cunningly titled R4i.

The DS Lite R4 will not work on the DSi.

You'll need to buy an R4i. Beware though, if you download the latest firmware for the DSi, it blocks the R4i. You then have to buy another type of R4i and sell the other one to someone you know as ebay block the sales.........

Cheers all. So the copied/backed-up :secret: games, are these bought or DIY? Torrents?

Happy to be pointed in the direction of a website if you'd prefer. I did do a search for this but not really knowing what you are looking for doesn't really help :grin:.

Make sure the R4i you get will work with the firmware currently available and then disable wifi access on the DSi so that it doesn't auto-update the firmware and render card useless.

Yep, the backup you made of your legally bought game which you put into the cloud for safe storage should be accesible from torrents and just copied straight onto the sd card.

PM is your friend!

I have an overstock of DSTT cards for 'vanilla' DS's.

I think I'm sat on about 5-10 - have to get into the storage box to check.

Bought with the intention of using the DS as an MP3 player or mini movie box when on the move. Just never got round to using all of them - I'm too lazy to bother with swapping files when I get bored.

If anyone wants a DSTT for a straight DS - PM me - TSN magic says £10 for the card alone with a CD with a shedload of software that does various stuff such as MP3/movie trickery. Thats posted almost immediately and of course I'll support you with any queries.

I don't have any microSD cards left - found I've used them in phones, with adaptors in Wiis and cameras etc. 2Gb runs at about a fiver.

Sorry for the hijack - just remembered I had these knocking about

• 6 months later...
We have one, but only whilst they were 'legal'.

So now it's officially illegal, your going to bin it right? :rolleyes:

We've got one for the mrs DS, I have no intention of not having it any more now it's illegal, we all know it's wrong to pirate games, dvd's, music etc but I can't see anyone stopping.

It's a part of modern life I'm afraid and it's not going to go away, the prices charged for genuine dvd's, cd's and games are well over the top, even if you download stuff officially so there is no physical media involved, they still want silly money, and for me the prices are unjustifiable, I don't think these pop stars etc need to have 5 Lamborghinis in the driveway, so I for one, am quite happy to download the odd bit of pirated material.

If I download something I really like however, I then usually go on to buy it officially, but if it's so so, or crap, I wont.

It hasn't been used since we bought a DSi.

It was rarely used anyway. We got it overseas and never added any more games than then 30 or so they put on it. We still carried on buying games in shops and must have amassed 35+.

So that somewhat negates the original question I guess. MrsMe bought it for LittleMissMe when I wasn't there, otherwise we'd have not being getting it in the first place.

I have no intention of not having it any more now it's illegal, we all know it's wrong to pirate games, dvd's, music etc but I can't see anyone stopping.

We haven't got a single pirated DVD or illegally downloaded piece of music, nor will we ever do so. The R4 was bought in error my MrsMe and has she known what it really was and that it wasn't some kind new 'games compendium' she wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Are you saying you have and will continue to use pirate DVD's, illegally downloaded or non-paid for music etc?

Personally yes - in moderation like most people, we have a R4 card in the house and the odd bit of music off the BT sites and have been known a few times a year to watch "downloaded" movies. Frankly most of it is rubbish and only tends to be a sample and if we like it we buy it.

You could qualify as an invalid and get 99% discounts though.:roflmao:

Blue badges are getting harder to get these days...

The DSis are not used much these days but in the past I have downloaded games off the 'net although I understand they are a lot harder to get now. The thing is, if they didn't charge £30+ per game, a lot more people might buy them legitimately.

I don't have a huge library of digital music but for the 3 or 4 albums I might want each year, I tend to download them foc from various MP3 sites.

And we have access to a very large library of pirated DVDs so while I don't buy them, I do borrow them.

And so far, I have resisted getting the PS3 or Wii fettled which would allow me to get any game I wanted for coppers (the currency type, not the law). We tend to buy pre-used games for half the original cost and p/ex a game at the same time therefore a 'new' game is relatively cheap.

It's the way of the world unfortunately. Maybe if I wasn't taxed to the hilt, usually several times over on the same money, I'd have a bit more disposable to buy a few more legitimate games/films/music.

The website I bought our r4i card from seems to have vanished. I'm guessing it's in response to this announcement.

I was going to buy another card as my boys are arguing over the 1 DS we have and I was thinking of getting a second. I guess that won't be happening.

I know it's an old argument and has it's flaws, but I really can't understand how they regard devices like this as illegal simply because they may be used to do something illegal, but not exclusively so. The same could be said for knives, or baseball bats, or blank tapes/CDs, etc...

Edited by Sponge