Eratic idle possible ecu update

karl1985

Also have an AZD engine in 2001 Golf, have had it 12 months and now on 117K, covered 16K in this time.

Have had a few problems which could help, as follows.

1. Coil Pack Failure - showed in VAGCOM as misfire on the effected cylinder, so doubt if a failed coil pack would cause your symptoms.

2. Poor acceleration and bad idle running was not serious but noticeable - No faults on VAGCOM until 1 morning very rough at low revs ,CEL came on and confirmed EGR errors with VAGCOM, removed and cleaned EGR but no better, blanked off EGR and running problem was resolved, However ,as expected, CEL and EGR errors until EGR replaced.

3. Clean MAP sensor, this made a huge difference to acceleration as temp sensor tip was covered in oil/gunk so I believe was not giving correct inlet manifold temperature.

I would suggest blanking the EGR as it may be failing, also clean the MAP.

Simple jobs which may help to identify the problem without spending any money.

Post back if any other info required to compare blocks with VAGCOM

Congrats for the post, this helped me a lot. I am new here and I have 1.6 AZD engine with EGR stucked open and Excessive flow error.

I blanked it looking at your post :) but now i got Insuficient flow now with check engine light.What's your advice ? To get a new EGR or let it blanked ? I'll do a try to MAP senzor clean. Do you have some pictures for this procedure ?

Best regards.

• 1 year later...

for kgs: i dont know if you will ever read this post again but even so i send you my best wishes and thanks, after visiting a dozen of mecanics and vagcom "experts" i run into your post, decided to torn my car to pieces and after canceling the egr valve the car is running smoothly. all the best!