Scirocco R /Golf R Prices

Paul

Still toying with the S3's future replacement, I thought i might check in and see if VW had relaxed its high and frankly unrealistic pricing structure on the R models.

Only to find they have shot up in costs! :ffs:

Previously the Scirocco was starting around the £27/28K

and the Golf starting around £28/29K

Todays prices:

Scirocco R from £28,295 to £29,595 :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Golf R from £30,090 to £31,980 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Absolutely bog standard with no options chosen. Are they mad????

I am/ was looking for a replacement for the ed30,

The Golf R, is unrealistically priced, and out of principle, will not be going down that route.

The Scirocco R is a "bit" cheaper, but not much, however, it does come with alot more as standard, than does the golf.

Still undecided.....i can spec a Scirocco R to around £30k, but it all depends on what i would get for the ed30, and the cost of change.....

I'm minded to leave any consideration of the Mk6 R Golf for at least a year. Looking (bad example I know) at what's happened to the TT-RS, in about six months I suspect there will be a good few at £35k, say 12 months from the model launch. For me the R will go the same route - limited supply, my ar$e, I bet the market a year from now will have a good few available for enthusiasts to consider. In between, the new Audi A3 will have been launched too. I may be wrong, just my 2p's worth. +++

• 1 month later...
They are not limited to 500 cars though?

We can order one tomorrow.

Yup but I'm guessing that would be an order for next year.

Frankly I like the car (yet to see one though) but you'd have to be off your trolley to pay the money they are asking.

They are banking on people wanting exclusivity and it seems to have worked. I just wish for once they had egg on their face with this.......

The original Golf R32 was only going to see 500, then this rose to 750.... eventually 3291 MK4 Golf R32`s were imported by Volkswagen UK.

I would say that Volkswagen UK are in the business to make money, not importing more would be less money for them... give it 6-12 months and they will flood into the UK.

Riz +++

Whilst I don't necessarily agree that there will be a flood of the New R coming to market over the next 12 months, I do think they won't be as exculsive as I had first thought/hoped even though they have a very strong desirability factor. Previous VW flagship models such as the MKV GTI and it's thirstier brother have obviously sold well, are readily accessible and still retain good residuals maintaining the desirability.

I've seen both around MK oviously VW uk cars and TBH I found both (esp the rocco) disappointing to look at.

Having been watching TTS prices then I suspect as above TTRS prices will be more affordable (to me) in the not too distant future and I think I know where I'd rather spend my money. And if I think about it at a nice spec youre at £35k, well for that money I'd really rather buy another range rover....

I sold my MkV R32 and looked at the new R. In the end, I went to Audi and ordered a TTS.

IMG_0643-1-1.jpg

Using the VW configurator and speccing the car as close as I can to the TTS spec I have, the VW is nearly £1000 more than I paid for my new TTS.

VW has got the Golf R pricing wrong - plain and simple.

Edited by Speedywheels
Missed out word

The original Golf R32 was only going to see 500, then this rose to 750.... eventually 3291 MK4 Golf R32`s were imported by Volkswagen UK.

I would say that Volkswagen UK are in the business to make money, not importing more would be less money for them... give it 6-12 months and they will flood into the UK.

Riz +++

at these prices they are never going to flood in to the UK. You would have to be a golf nut to spend £40k on a hatchback. There will be very few around full stop.

Then they're set to be an exclusive and future collectable already.

maybach sold 3 cars last year in the UK. think they will be collectable? Seriously, a golf that looks like any other, has same engine and just a map is never going to be a collectable. There are just too many other normal ones about. Sorry if this is offending anyone that buying, just think this car is mad mad money and a crying shame. Always had a fondness for Golf's especially the R's.

Edited by Woppum