Anyone changed the spark plugs on a MK5??

Baldrik

Petsy, many thanks for this info

I've been meaning to ask for some time now. Excellent. My first Spring project I think :-)

"If you can get off the engine cover then you're laughing."

That's dead right! What a job .... ......

I see the MkVI is a much more sensible and conventional arrangement i.e. getting to the air filter and plugs.

I've changed the air filter recently and put plenty of copper grease on the studs when replacing the cover.

I'm not sure if it will work in helping to get the cover off again - it must get mighty hot under there. Drying out even the copper grease.

Ludwig

I've just got rid of my stock engine cover - surprisingly heavy - to accommodate my Forge Twintake and I'm modifying an EVOMS aluminium engine cover for quick release. Well, quick in comparison with the stock monster! I even know of people breaking the stock one while removing.

Not finished - Centre carbon strip to be properly attached : -

Mockup_CFstrip.jpg

Thanks for the input guys.

Does anyone know what make/serial number the spark plugs/coil packs are?

The stock cover is terrible. The stealer who did the last service broke it. Unfortunately I didn't realise until I lifted the bonnet.

Always check their work!

You'll find the part number on the top of the coil packs - you don't need to remove them. Call your local GSF car parts for plugs - you'll get Bosch ones (OEM) for a lot less, as well as genuine VW coil packs for about 3% off list (GSF have to buy them from VW - there's no margin in them!). Join ClubGTI.com for £10 a year and you'll get 10% discount at GSF on all your parts +++

Petsy, thanks for reminding me of this.

I'd better sell the car before the grommets go - ha-ha!

I recall you or someone else said it 6 months ago or so when we were discussing the subject.

I think the dealer used a spray silicon grease - dries out white.

Thanks again, Ludwig

Just a follow on from this.....did anyone find out where you can get the coil packs at a "cheaper" than stealer price didn't someone say Bosch?

One of my coil packs went last year and I know Red says he carrys one with him. So I am thinking if one has gone and I am doing the plugs I might as well change the coil packs at the same time.