Oil what's in yours?

bodger00

I have been using Castrol Edge 5w 30 but I am tempted by Mobil 1 5W 30 due to the reputation and the fact it comes in 5L bottles (4L is just not enough).

Is there any specification I have to stick to for the MK5 GTI? I'm now not on longlife oil changes and I am more concerned about maximum protection.

Edited by bodger00

I've read elsewhere that although Mobil 1 is classed as a fully synthetic oil, it is actually created from a mineral base and is not as good a quality as the Castrol stuff. In fact, Mobil was not rated as well as many other well known brands. I didn't realise this and in years gone by actually supplied it to the garage to be put in my previous cars!

I'm no expert on this subject but have read a lot about it and the conclusions were that Castrol & Fuches seem to be the best. There is a lot of clever marketing surrounding oils and just because Mobil is 'fitted' in Porsches at the factory and a sticker placed on the front panel for example, doesn't mean it's the best oil or the best for that particular engine - good enough, yes....the best, possibly not. It probably means that Mobil supply it to Porsche at a cheap price :grin:

Although maufacturers have their specifications for oils from which you ca use, even within these specifications there are differences.

Castrol RS in mine currently. I have an oil change every 10,000 miles. As others have said, the most important thing is the appropriate oil type rather than the brand. Different VW dealers do their own purchasing deals with trade suppliers and that determines what they offer.

My approved VW Servicing agent is Volkswagen Racing and they are not subject to quite the same restraints.