Is this is a fair price for 3rd Service+Cam+Brake Fluid

snoogans

£530 parts & labour for above.

Just wondering what you guys think. This is from a Worcestershire dealer. I've got them to do some semi-price matching already within that figure. Wondering if I can push them down some more. Comparitive figures for independent are coming in at £220 (service) / £275 (cambelt) / £105 (brake fluid).

4yr old Mk5 2.0 GTI, current mileage 67k. This would be for 3rd long-life service. Verified with VW central that for my car cam needs changing @ 4yrs or 120,000km. Pretty sure that's acurate from reading other posts on here, plus VW cust. servs took reg, used chassis no. to check with technical, which at least sounds plausable.

So, £530 good, bad or somewhere inbetween? Would value your feedback.

Thanks,

RJ

That seems like a good price to me.

The best price I can get between 4 dealers just for a cam belt and water pump change is £415!

I would recommend getting a new water pump fitted at the the same time - I believe they are a fairly common failure The pumps are usually only about £60 - £70

Like you I rang round dealers and it was coming out at £530 ish! including waterpump.

I then had a call from the dealer who were offering a special offer price £299 inc. water pump for work booked in before Xmas. (presumably because its a quiet time in the workshops).

I would recommend getting a new water pump fitted at the the same time - I believe they are a fairly common failure The pumps are usually only about £60 - £70

Thanks for the tip. Car's in tomorrow so will mention water pump when booking it in.

I was tempted to get them to throw in a new pollen filter but thought I shouldn't push my luck!

Glad others are verifying price isn't too bad. Their initial offer was £245 for service, £520 for cam but in same breath said £420 if I had it done at the same time and £70 for brake fluid.

Told 'em what I'd been quoted from a local independent, asked about their policy with regard to the VW service promise and did my best to demonstrate I had a passing knowledge of what was involved. After a bit of light banter we arrived at £530.

Was pleasantly surprised as I'd all but assumed the cost difference would make using a franchised dealer too expensive.