New Audi A5 Cabriolet Owner (soon). Just want some general advice/opinons. Cheers

andyhud007

Hi All,

New to the forum here and wanted to say hi (I did in the new members area) and now in here as I wanted to get some opinions on the following.

Firstly, I've never bought a car brand new from a dealer, its just not something I would normally consider or ever had a need to do, but I think its something I'm going to do now. I've got a bit of money to spend and I've always wanted to own a Cabriolet and never had done.

I've always liked the A4 Cab's but was never in a position to buy one, now obviously there are the A5 Cab's and I've spent the last few months researching them, reading all there is about them and taking a few for a drive.

Basically I have the following specification outlined and wanted to get some honest thoughts on it. If you think its good, bad, stupid, silly, OTT.. you get the picture. I just want opinions from someone who doesnt work at an Audi Dealership!

Lastly, apologies for the all the questions that I'm going to list. This is all new to me and I just want to do what is right and best like all of us. So if you could help or have any pointers it would be much appreciated.

Ok, so this is what I have so far:

• Audi A5 Cabriolet
  • 2.0 TFSI S-Line Edition
  • Phantom Black - First question. Is it worth the £600 over Brilliant Black?
  • Red Hood - Possibly. I cant decide if I'm honest.
  • 19 x 8.5J 5 Segment spoke wheels (though I quite like the Y spoke ones. Can you get them on the S-Line Cab?)
  • Leather/Alcantara seats with white stitching. I'm not a fan of all leather seats, but I'm assuming the Alcantara is nicer than Leather/Cloth combination?
  • Convienence Package - Auto Dim Rear View mirror, light and rain sensors, coming home/leaving home functions, auto windscreen wipers. Electric mirrors, heated, dimming and automatic folding I believe?
  • Deletion of Model and Engine Capactiy on rear
  • Wind Blocker - Comes as standard, but is it any good?
  • Head Level Heating - I'm not (and neither is the Audi dealer) sure you can get this on the S-Line seats? Can anyone confirm?
  • Tyre Pressure Monitor - Worth it?
  • Interior Light Package - £100 add on so figured why not.
  • Electric Front Seats - I think this comes with the Convienence Package?
  • Heated Front Seats - Not sure if its worth it if I'm honest?
  • Technology Package - HDD Sat Nav with MMI 3G - High, Audi Music Interface and Cruise Control. How good is the new MMI Sat Nav? Also, I hear you get 10Gb of disk space for MP3's. I have loads, so this is one of the reasons why I want this.
  • DIS with colour display - comes as standard
  • Audi Parking System Plus - not the camera version, but one that displays the graphics on the screen. More for my other half than me!
  • Mobile Phone Prep - High. I'm confused about the Mobile phone High/Low options. Can anyone help what is best? - I'm REALLY confused about these options!
  • Standard Audi Music System - Is it worth going for the B&O system instead?
  • Xenon Lights and Day light running lights. - Standard on S-Line.
  • 3 Spoke S-Line Steering Wheel - as standard. Is the 4-Spoke one better?
  • Audi Hill Hold function - Its £45 and wondering if its worth it. I figured it would be as its only a small extra and the other half might like the safety of it.
  • Advanced Key Function - The walk up and open the door and the start/stop button. I'm not sure on this as I'm not sure how "secure" it is.. I mean surely someone nearby could jump in and drive off?

Its coming out at the dealer just shy of £40K and while I could 'afford' it. I dont want to spend extra if its not really worth the cash.

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Hi Cruiser, thanks for your reply.

I do like the Red Hood too, as I think it works well with the black body, but I'm not 100% convinced.

Mileage - About 10K a year I reckon.. not much

I've just got off the phone to Audi Customer services as I was enquiring about the 19" Y Spoke Alloys and why they arent an option on the Audi A5 Cab S-Line. It transpires that its because of the lower suspension of the S-Line and the "Damper Control"

I'm also a bit put off, because I wanted 2 tone seats, and in the S-Line if you opt for a different colour seats, it wont be 2 - tone. It will be the whole seat (or so the Audi Customer service guy who was just reading the online brochure) said. It means if I want 2 tone, I would have to have the SE edition Cab, but then I lose the S-Line additions and styling. :ffs:

I'm really confused to be honest. I could have an SE version (the engines are the same as the S-Line engine), and have the wheels I want, the seats in 2-tone but have to pay extra for the xenon headlights etc. OR have the S-Line edition, have to have the 19" 5 Segment Wheels but I get the lower suspension, and the Xenon headlights etc as standard and of course the S-line styling..

My head hurts...

Andy

get the s-line . +++

forget the red hood. it will KILL value and looks camp. :nono:

forget keyless entry and hill hold. gimmicks. and how much!!! :nono:

ensure you have heated front seats and wind breaker-makes a huge difference to all year round usability as a cabriolet and these are a must have. +++

definitely get head level heating... its a cabriolet and with the roof down you'll love it! +++

get mobile phone prep high integrated with the satnav +++

forget tyre pressure monitors...pain in the ass! just check them every week yourself. by the time it warns you its too late. :nono:

to save extra pennies....

electric front seats gimmicky? ...and standard seats have lumbar anyway

parking system plus - its not accurate. it just relays which sensor is going etc. standard ones are fine.

rain sensors. yeh right.

auto-dimming...cant stand it myself.

folder mirrors useful though.

subjective but...

get full leather. alcantara crap. (some like it but its a 40k car...it needs leather)

none of this two-tone nonsense either. see comment on red roof.

my 2p +++

Hi mate, many thanks for your input!

Just a few questions. Why do you think the Red hood will kill the value? Is this a known thing, and black is always the safest bet?

Can't have Hill Hold as I'm having the 2.0TFSI option which has some start/stop thing (when your sitting in traffic it kills the engine to save on fuel or something), so that is off the list

Keyless Entry - Not 100% convinced, going to check it out on Sunday at the dealer on other cars and I'll decide if I want it.

Wind Breaker - Comes as standard, but is it something that clips in the back of the car then behind the front seats?

Mobile Phone Prep - High and Sat Nav yeah. But trying to figure what the difference is between Phone Prep High and Phone Prep Low.. Is it just a cradle and external antenna? How does the external antenna work as my phone doesnt have an external antenna socket on it!?! and if I change phone, surely I need to change cradle??

Tyre Pressure monitor... yeah, will ditch that.

Heated front seats - Yep, defo on the list.. any thoughts on rear heated seats?

Head Level Heating - Audi CS confirmed I can get it on S-Line so will get that I think. Going to check it out on Sunday at the dealer.

Why is parking system plus (not the camera version) gimmicky? I dont quite understand what you mean over the standard version.

Folding mirrors - yeah, will get these.

Appreciate your thoughts on seats.. may end up with full leather.

Is Fine Nappa really that much better than Milano leather?

Cheers!

Andy:confused:

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Fold !

Here is my ten cents worth, funnily enough I spec'd up a more or less identical 2.0T a few months back and it came out to roughly £40k too.

Phantom Black - First question. Is it worth the £600 over Brilliant Black?

- I would definitely go for metallic, it will look better and improve future resale value.

Red Hood - Possibly. I cant decide if I'm honest.

- I would park this, I have seen a few on the road and even more in the dealers as they cannot shift them. It will definitely hit future resale figures too.

19 x 8.5J 5 Segment spoke wheels (though I quite like the Y spoke ones. Can you get them on the S-Line Cab?)

- Y spokes look quite nice and I would be tempted to get those too

Leather/Alcantara seats with white stitching. I'm not a fan of all leather seats, but I'm assuming the Alcantara is nicer than Leather/Cloth combination?

- Didn't know they did the leather with white stitching, but being white it will get grubby quickly, definitely go for leather rather than cloth

Convienence Package - Auto Dim Rear View mirror, light and rain sensors, coming home/leaving home functions, auto windscreen wipers. Electric mirrors, heated, dimming and automatic folding I believe?

- I have all of these and they are great !

Wind Blocker - Comes as standard, but is it any good?,

- very good on the motorway, anything over 40mph and you will notice some wind buffeting in the car. I can only speak from having two A4 cabs, not sure if they have improved the airflow over the car with the new A5

Head Level Heating - I'm not (and neither is the Audi dealer) sure you can get this on the S-Line seats? Can anyone confirm?

- I thought that the head level heating was only left off the S5 spec cab. You may want to check but I thought it was included on the SLine seats

Tyre Pressure Monitor - Worth it?

- yep, I would have it just for piece of mind. Yes you can check your tyres once a week or before a long trip but twice I have avoided a nasty accident on the motorway when I had got a puncture, the TPS will give you enough warning of pressure loss and hence pull over to the side of the road safely.

Interior Light Package - £100 add on so figured why not.

- Totally agree, it provides a really nice ambience in the car.

Electric Front Seats - I think this comes with the Convienence Package?

- not sure about this, you may want to check but I think the electric seat option means you have to press a button/lever to move the seat forward to get in the back, I think the seat moving forward motion is electrically powered and can take a bit more time. I have the electric lumbar adjustment and to be honest this is all I have ever needed, the SLine seats are superb

Heated Front Seats - Not sure if its worth it if I'm honest?

- yep again, great to have on the evening cruises as the sun sets and starts to get a bit colder outside, this with the neck warmers is a great combination

Technology Package - HDD Sat Nav with MMI 3G - High, Audi Music Interface and Cruise Control. How good is the new MMI Sat Nav? Also, I hear you get 10Gb of disk space for MP3's. I have loads, so this is one of the reasons why I want this.

- I would go for this, you will regret it if you don't

Mobile Phone Prep - High. I'm confused about the Mobile phone High/Low options. Can anyone help what is best? - I'm REALLY confused about these options!

- I will probably just go for the bluetooth connectivity option which will allow you to sync up your phone with the MMI

Standard Audi Music System - Is it worth going for the B&O system instead?

- Go for the B&O, sound quality is superb.

3 Spoke S-Line Steering Wheel - as standard. Is the 4-Spoke one better?

- Go for the three spoker, looks much better

Audi Hill Hold function - Its £45 and wondering if its worth it. I figured it would be as its only a small extra and the other half might like the safety of it.

- Are you going for an auto box?, if not then hold assist is a nice feature to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky guy to be in the position - I'm in my A4 cab and can't justify upgrading at the moment, so these are comments based on that, but I'd definitely go with the comment above re. seat heating and wind blocker: when you buy a cab you definitely want to be able to put the roof down all year round. No experience of the head-level heating but as it fits into this "does it extend your top down driving range?" category, sounds like a clear yes.

Similarly the interior light pack, such an essential luxury touch and so cheap that I have a longstanding rant about why they don't just include it as standard - as it is, you get some quite highly specced ex-demo or used models around without it because some idiot failed to include it as new, and it cheapens the impact of the car. Never say no.

And I have to say that the red roof makes my wife wince and comment whenever she sees it on the road (even 2 days ago, a black/red combo) and after 4 years of owning Audi cabs she still says "I'm so glad you didn't get one of those". OK, so you're not married to her, but as a 'general member of the public' I'd say she's not untypical - red roofs arouse strong feelings, generally negative. The other thing about red roofs is that they do seem to age more and sometimes look a bit faded when you see them around.

Edited by GCab

• 4 months later...

Hello friend. a5 cab, if you haven't already dont! buy a NICE a4 instead?...Honestly!...I just sold my a5 cab sline 2ltr diesel?...Why...dull...yes it looks fantastic and the hood operation is fast and smooth BUT....that stupid handbrake! I had issues with stop/start (you can catch it out!) and that stupid gear change indicator-I am able to decide this!-yes I know it can be swithed off! but this leads me to the cars other problems-its all menu driven from the DIS "I just want on/off buttons!!!!" ROAD NOISE...yes I'm shouting because it ain't the quietest on certian motorway surfaces Do you really need to depress the clutch pedal to start or do you always give the gear leaver a quick 'shake' L 2 R? and that stupid key aka merc,vw you can't hang any keys off it IE your bunch other wise you'll destroy your dash! Don't get the variable steering assist?...cos in a fast bend if (as I did) accelerate as the road opened the assist cuts in. its an on/off affair not like porsche OH!..don't let go of your seatbelt to quick!...cos it hits those nice brushed alloy door strips and leaves a perminent mark. Now torque steer.. AWFUL!..lots of it.Leather seats-when you sell-fabric inserts becomes only half leather.YES its a fantastic car but it ain't no drivers car...now driving bm 330 cab msport diesel-far more entertaining.If you still want one wait 2/3 yrs you'll get one for nowt!