RS4 Tyres

mark88

Well, my 3 year warranty is almost up...

Only got 12 thousand miles on the clock, car has been great if I'm honest. Dealer rang and offered me a free MOT. I'm quite sure they're going to say I need new tyres. It's currently got Pirelli P-zero, 19's.

Should I go for the same tyre again, or is there a better choice? I find the Pirelli quite noisy.

Run Flats!! - You don't wanna be doing that, it will kill your ride!

What are your current tyres (Rosso's?) as the only other Pirelli option is P-Zero RFT (275/40). You should have can of audi gunge in the boot to in case you get a flat, if you do they the aren't RFT's (I'm prepared to be corrected).

Edited by Andy_Bangle

Just put my car away so I'd have to check tomorrow but there is a can in the boot. The car is an 07 plate, tyres are stock and I always assumed they were run flats...are they not? :-)

I've had lots of punctures and rode on them for a long while afterwards.

I always assumed they were run flats, they're 255/35 pirelli p-zero's, what else it says on there I don't know. I've had punctures repaired before and the first time the guy said "we're not supposed to repair runflats" but do.

So, have I been running non run flats all along? What are you supposed to do with this can of gunk anyways?

I'm embarrassed by my lack of knowledge

Many people advise going up a size width (275/30) as gives more choice & rim protection Vredsteins also popular for RS4s mine has Contisport Contact 3s which seem OK but not great so wouldn't really recommend but only tryes have had so can't really say have never felt very confidence inspiring but are billed as a "summer tyre" so hoping may feel better soon.

Edited by mb

I've had lots of punctures and rode on them for a long while afterwards.

:eek: suprised you havn't managed to do some serious damage

I have always found the Mitchelin Pilot Sport range a top tyre, the PS2 version has just been replaced by the PS3 version, cost a bit but certainly worth it

In fact at 12k, I would have thought your rears would have still have some life in them, some you maybe able to get away with just a pair of new P-Zero's for the front only, but I would get the tyres/sidewalls checked if you have been driving for extended periods on flat tyres +++

In fact at 12k, I would have thought your rears would have still have some life in them, some you maybe able to get away with just a pair of new P-Zero's for the front only

That's a seriously bad idea - the large difference in rolling radius between new fronts and 12,000 mile old reas will cause significant wind-up in the centre diff. Audi advise a maxium difference in rad ius of 3/32" IIRC between tyres.

RS4 tyres are most definitely NOT run flat tyres, just normal tyres. The can of sealant is because there's no room for a spare tyre (as the battery lives in the spare wheel well instead of under the bonnet like it does on the A4 and S4 - to help weight distribution)

Second the advice to go for 275/30 Goodyear F1's, they are a great tyre (but do need 500 miles to run-in properly), and have better rim protection than the 255/35 size. For longevity though, go for Michelin PS2s.

My experience:

PZero Rossos - 9,000 miles

PS2s - 17,000 miles

F1s - 11,000 miles

• 2 weeks later...

May not be of much relevance now but having run F1's I am now running Vredestein Ultrac Seassanta's in 275/30 R19 96Y XL, same size as the F1's I had previously. They were overall £100 cheaper for the 4 than F1's, perhaps don't have the ultimate dry edge of envelope grip of the F1's but better in wet and snow and having done 15k miles on them I still have 4.5mm on the rears and 5mm on the the fronts so they will significantly outlast the F1's I had which did 19k miles.

Sessanta's as a little noisier on the road but not intrusive noisy but overall they look like they are going to be a very durable performance tyre. And you can buy two sets for the price of one set of PS2/3's.

• 1 year later...
That's a seriously bad idea - the large difference in rolling radius between new fronts and 12,000 mile old reas will cause significant wind-up in the centre diff. Audi advise a maxium difference in rad ius of 3/32" IIRC between tyres.

RS4 tyres are most definitely NOT run flat tyres, just normal tyres. The can of sealant is because there's no room for a spare tyre (as the battery lives in the spare wheel well instead of under the bonnet like it does on the A4 and S4 - to help weight distribution)

Second the advice to go for 275/30 Goodyear F1's, they are a great tyre (but do need 500 miles to run-in properly), and have better rim protection than the 255/35 size. For longevity though, go for Michelin PS2s.

My experience:

PZero Rossos - 9,000 miles

PS2s - 17,000 miles

F1s - 11,000 miles

Hi Dave, that is interesting as I am about to replace my P Zero's for the second time, have got 50,000km/30,000miles on both sets, looking at the same, or F1's, had Michelins on the M3 which I liked.

Gazzab

Many people advise going up a size width (275/30) as gives more choice & rim protection Vredsteins also popular for RS4s mine has Contisport Contact 3s which seem OK but not great so wouldn't really recommend but only tryes have had so can't really say have never felt very confidence inspiring but are billed as a "summer tyre" so hoping may feel better soon.

MB, excuse my ignorance, so clearly the larger tyre still fits on the same size rim?

Gazzab

Yes, same rim, endless threads about 255/35 vs 275/30 on RS246 and Audi SRS. +++

Thats 19s just in case you have the 18s that were optional over on these shores.

30,000 miles on a set of Pirellis - you should write to the Guinness book of World Records - obviously the roads are a bit different in Australia!