New R - complete lack of interest here

Soulboy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VW have fecked up big time with the R, there is nothing special about it whatsoever, and it's too expensive by huge margin, at those prices, they are playing with the big boys, and VW 'quality' just won't cut it at that level.

For me, it's just too dull, the GTi is a much nicer looking car, the R just looks like my mums shopping car.

It's also lost the V6, so it'll have no character, it might now have a better engine, but it's lost a big part of it's R ness, all it really is, is a GTi without the bodykit, and crippled with a heavy pretend 4wd system, people are seeing through what is ultimately, a poorly executed marketing exercise.

I hear what you're all saying, but it would still be my hot hatch of choice. I'm not bothered about 6 cylinders - that's what Milltek is for :grin: For me, it's about the evolution of the GTI and VW's hot hatches. I'm a sucker for marketing machines and like the new/latest models more so than the previous models. more often or not, for me, they're simply a better evolution. The looks/design have improved untold amounts in each marque and that's very important for me. I haven't driven the MKVI as yet, in GTI or R version, but personally speaking, I'm sure the drive/experience will tick all the boxes (I'm no track-obsessed driver by any means) - it usually does hence I've owned all but the MKIII :)

I hear what you're all saying, but it would still be my hot hatch of choice. I'm not bothered about 6 cylinders - that's what Milltek is for :grin: For me, it's about the evolution of the GTI and VW's hot hatches. I'm a sucker for marketing machines and like the new/latest models more so than the previous models. more often or not, for me, they're simply a better evolution. The looks/design have improved untold amounts in each marque and that's very important for me. I haven't driven the MKVI as yet, in GTI or R version, but personally speaking, I'm sure the drive/experience will tick all the boxes (I'm no track-obsessed driver by any means) - it usually does hence I've owned all but the MKIII :)
And for this reason the Golf R will suite you, it ticks all your boxes..... as long as there are people in the same frame of mind, they will sell.

Riz :)

I saw a white one in Twickenham on Saturday, how did I know, because I was sat parked and it drove past me 3 times. Originally I thought it was a GTI but it was only because the chap booted it and I noticed the twin wide exhausts that I actually took note. Very disappointing in the flesh from within another car at least.

Having admired the original and not been offended by the mark 5, this latest R is just lame IMO and way to much money. Shame!

I hear what you're all saying, but it would still be my hot hatch of choice. I'm not bothered about 6 cylinders - that's what Milltek is for :grin:

Really? I don't think a 4 pot with a Milltek would be in the same league soundwise as the V6 in the R32 does with a Milltek.

I adore the sound of the resonated Milltek on my R32 but find even non resonated Milltek's on the GTI's and so on to be a bit limp wristed by comparison.

I'm not at all interested in the new R. It was the V6 sound that sold me on my MkV R32 that I've got. Take that away and I'd be much more inclined to look elsewhere.

I took mine out for a drive last thursday as the sun was out, went into the city centre and as always everybody was admiring it...... :grin: for a 8/9 year old design thats a awesome achievement.

Riz :grin:

Everytime I see a MK4 R32, especially in that blue colour. I take a good look. I was saying to a friend the other day I wished my S8 looked more like that, a bit more aggressive.

Have to agree, no Milltek can make the sound of a 4 pot in the same league of a nice V6/8.

Interested yes, Scirocco R or Golf R but not at their prices.
I think thats one of the main grumbles for a lot of people, they price structure of Volkswagens in general. Lets remember these cars arent bad cars at all. A fine blend of performance / economy.

Riz +++

It was that thirsty, heavy V6 (only just a 'V' too by design) that put me off the old R32's. That engine wasn't without it's reliability issues either was it for a while I recall? Bearing in mind i've just spent £235 road tax on my GTI today, i'm pleased the new R Golf is a 2 litre 4 pot!

I agree that the new R is a bit bland. I would save approx £1800 and go for the Scirocco R. Looks much more the part :)

It was that thirsty, heavy V6 (only just a 'V' too by design) that put me off the old R32's. That engine wasn't without it's reliability issues either was it for a while I recall? Bearing in mind i've just spent £235 road tax on my GTI today, i'm pleased the new R Golf is a 2 litre 4 pot!

I agree that the new R is a bit bland. I would save approx £1800 and go for the Scirocco R. Looks much more the part :)

Each to their own, no real reliability issues with Golf R32 engines really. A firmware update cured the hesistation problems on the MK4`s. The timing chain problem was a very rare and isolated issue caused by certain contributing factors. Aslong as the engine has been serviced and looked after they do last. A friend of mine as passed 106k miles in his MK4 R32, and its never missed a beat.

I think both engines have their advantages and will appeal to different types of people/buyers. :)

Volkswagen we right in ended the R32 branding as that really was a different generation of performance volkswagens, eco-friendly engines were not on the agenda at all.

In my eyes there is no replacement for the R32 as Volkswagen have started again with a new image and rebranding etc. Age will be kind to the original V6 R32`s. And the future for the R models will grow.

Riz +++

I don't think a 4 pot with a Milltek would be in the same league soundwise as the V6 in the R32 does with a Milltek

Aah, the "legendary" V6 "burble" blah, blah, blah - there is more to motoring life! ;) In reality, there's not that much difference is there. Yes, it's noticeable, but 4 pots, 6 pots, there's not a huge amount of difference if you have the right sports exhaust. My non-res Milltek GTI sounded better than my 3.2 V6 GTV through the gears and on full bore. Now, 8 cylinders and upwards, then you do hear a difference - you'd have to be deaf not to!

Aah, the "legendary" V6 "burble" blah, blah, blah - there is more to motoring life! ;) In reality, there's not that much difference is there. Yes, it's noticeable, but 4 pots, 6 pots, there's not a huge amount of difference if you have the right sports exhaust. My non-res Milltek GTI sounded better than my 3.2 V6 GTV through the gears and on full bore. Now, 8 cylinders and upwards, then you do hear a difference - you'd have to be deaf not to!

There is indeed more to motoring life, but I was referring specifically to your post saying that you didn't need a 6 pot because you can get a Milltek.

Is there a big difference? Hell yes. I wasn't that impressed with the sound from the 3.2 V6 in the Alfas. The 3 litre, now that's a different story.

Having looked at an S3 sportback and just now compared it with the R already, without finishing my spec, I'm at £37,320 for the R and last night was under £35k for the S3. Bearing in mind I've not finished the equivalent R spec yet, that is utterly ludicrous.

On that basis I can't see why anyone would be interested in buying an R. Performance is the same pretty much. You could probably even have a 135i with all the kit for much the same. BMW and Audi trumps VW every time in my world!

Having looked at an S3 sportback and just now compared it with the R already, without finishing my spec, I'm at £37,320 for the R and last night was under £35k for the S3. Bearing in mind I've not finished the equivalent R spec yet, that is utterly ludicrous.

On that basis I can't see why anyone would be interested in buying an R. Performance is the same pretty much. You could probably even have a 135i with all the kit for much the same. BMW and Audi trumps VW every time in my world!

I did just that on a 135, with discount (which I doubt VW will give on the R) it was far less than the equivalent spec on the VW.

Also tax on the 135 is £205 a year, anyone know what it is on the car with 2 less cylinders and 1 litre less?

I am interested in the R. But I am not paying that price for one.

I can afford it, but I have got a feeling they may have to reduce the price and any early purchasers would face a big loss.

Reason: There is just bugger all interest in them at the moment and the sticker price seems to be the main issue.

I will probably just get another S3 when I change this Autumn.

Shame really, cause I usually like to change the model each time I get a new one.

Isn't tax to do with C02 emmissions? The S3 is 199g and attracts £215 in road tax. My LCR is 240g (ish) and attracts the same, although it is from 2003 and possibly dips under the legislation which would today (new) mean it cost massively more.

Completely unlike the MK4 and MK5 R models, I've paid hardly any attention to the new one. I've seen a couple advertised on Pistonheads but from the photos posted they look surprisingly shite IMO. And at £35k, you must be blummin well joking.

Soulboy, I'd be sticking with an S3 as well.