New R - complete lack of interest here

Soulboy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tax went up on 1st (could have been 6th) of April.

Showroom tax also introduced. You pay twice the road tax when you buy a new car "to make the buyer consider the environmental effects of their purchase" when in fact it made me "consider that the government are a bunch of robbing c**ts"

It does seem extremely expensive, this guy just ordered a 135i and this is what he paid...

Vehicle:

135i M Sport Coupe N55 3.0 £29,485

Options:

Navigation system Professional £1,970

Leather Boston Coral Red £990

Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory £890

Loudspeaker system - harman/kardon surround sound £680

Electric Glass Sunroof £675

Xenon headlights £635

Bluetooth phone prep + telematics £535

Seat heating, front £260

Cruise control £215

Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear £210

USB interface £205

Lumbar support, driver and front pass. £200

Elec Fold Exterior Mirrors £170

Windscreen with grey shade band £55

Jet Black £0

Runflat tyres £0

Sport seats, front £0

Brushed Aluminium interior trim with accent line £0

Headlight wash £0

BMW Assist £0

BMW Assist online portal £0

Voice Control £0

M Steering Wheel £0

Exterior trim, Highgloss Shadowline £0

Headlining, Anthracite £0

SA3 Pricing Rule for 620 Voice Control £0

Sub Total £7,690

TOTAL Discounted Purchase price £32,468.32

It is also...

Band J 12 Month Manual (186-200(g/km) £215

at 199g/km

The other thing is 3 year old 135i's are still getting £22-24k depending on spec. So the finance deals are very good.

The new R is just crazy. VW have truly lost the plot!

I've got the VW Price List (effective 1 April 2010) through the Post for the new .:R.

If you add Sat-Nav with Dynaudio and CD player, the cost is £2,555.00. If you also add Recarro Sports Seats on a 5 door model too, it will cost you £3,685.00. Adaptive Chassis Control (standard on the .:R Scirocco) is another £765.00 amd heaven forbid that you add Pearl Paint, Telephone Prep and Parking Sensors along with a Sunroof, 'cos that will entail another £1,500.00 added to your Invoice.

The "basic" price of a 5-Door with DSG is £32,190.00 and with that (included in the OTR Price) you have the double VED of £985.25.

This is one expensive model for all of us who've enjoyed the ownership experience of the MkIV and MkV .:R32. :(

Tried out the new R today.

Compared to the S3, it had a better exhaust note and some nicer touches. But still far to expensive compared to the S3.

Then I got back into my Mk5 R32 and forgot all about it.....

So, new tax, mot and VW warranty = another year of pleasure in the R32

Exhaust Note - I can only say that there is no comparison when you put a mk1 TT 225 and V6 next to each other even with miltek there is no mistaking what you are listening to.

Given the current market place I'd be looking at the BMW market as well if I wanted a fast small hatch, I've been out in a 135i and thought it was *%&***! good fun, I've had an S3 and a mk4 R32 (or is that .:R I cant remember ;)), but I wouldnt rush to buy another S3.

As for the new R, its not worth it, in fact part of the reason buying a V6 TT was that I got something that is reasonably quick, sounds good and isnt too much of a burdon on tax and it was cheap to buy, to spend an additional £30k on a VW Hatch would be a real struggle for me, Also having a MK6 Golf already (as a runabout I cant wait to get my Insignia back) and having seen a few of the new R's I just cannot get excited about them, I just feel VW missed the trick somewhere this time.

• 2 weeks later...

It does look as though someone has taken a 1.6 Golf went to Halfords and bought some 19" wheels and a couple of stick on "R" badges :roflmao:

When I was in my dealer this morning I seen a brand new Passat with the .:R logo on the wing. Looked like a bog standard bog standard model with a body kit. Talk about diluting the brand.

They also have a Golf R up for sale at £34.5k and and after a few weeks iy's still not sold. By contrast the Rocco R they had sold the same day it came in