I bloody love my car

Andrew

... and it took a test drive today to realise that. I took out an S3 Sportback with a real thought of perhaps getting one as a replacement to mine in the coming 12 months. I was utterly underwhelmed.

It might have been the S Tronic gearbox which I'd never get but it just didn't feel any better than my current LCR. It certainly wasn't any quicker and I'm not even sure I liked the interior or styling.

Getting back in mine I realised I've got a great car. A touch chavvy looking perhaps but the new PS2s I stuck on the front and the new brake pads and discs I had done (after the Brembo ones warped after 2k - an expensive exercise) mean it really feels good.

I've had Porsche Turbo thoughts in the last 6 months (pre 6 points) and before that RS4 thoughts. I might take out an RS4 in the coming weeks to see what they are like but in all honesty, the drive in the S3 put me off changing at all. I looked at an RS4 in the showroom but the one I saw was a bit tatty inside.

What a great feeling!

... and it took a test drive today to realise that. I took out an S3 Sportback with a real thought of perhaps getting one as a replacement to mine in the coming 12 months. I was utterly underwhelmed.

It might have been the S Tronic gearbox which I'd never get but it just didn't feel any better than my current LCR. It certainly wasn't any quicker and I'm not even sure I liked the interior or styling.

Getting back in mine I realised I've got a great car. A touch chavvy looking perhaps but the new PS2s I stuck on the front and the new brake pads and discs I had done (after the Brembo ones warped after 2k - an expensive exercise) mean it really feels good.

I've had Porsche Turbo thoughts in the last 6 months (pre 6 points) and before that RS4 thoughts. I might take out an RS4 in the coming weeks to see what they are like but in all honesty, the drive in the S3 put me off changing at all. I looked at an RS4 in the showroom but the one I saw was a bit tatty inside.

What a great feeling!

That's refreshing and nice to hear +++

Yes, I've tried to resist the urge to change just "because". I tried the mk1 S3 when buying a car last time but despite the fact I really wanted to love it, the LCR was just better to drive. Can't put my finger on it and I'm sure it varies driver to driver, but it wasn't for me. Having read a few reviews I thought the mk2 would be different.

Anyway, let's see if the dealer with the RS4 gets in touch today for a test drive of that. With any luck I'll hate that too and I can be at rest for a while!

I went from an LCR to a 2.0TQ Sline Sportback (S3 want out yet) and it did nothing for me, totally devoid of any character whatsoever. Ended up p/ex ing the Sportback for the current A4 Cab which has just been great. Totally different character to the LCR but just such a great motor. So much so I'm having problems finding a replacement after 4 years, cant justify the cost of an A5....

I've never liked the original A3/S3 and I find the current S3 too "wooden" if that makes sense. B7 RS4 is a completely different car and a great place to be.

But then the LCR is a great car as well - and a lot of people have no idea what they are - real Q car +++