Bug Residue

P_G

Have a bit of a problem. Used my AG Active Insect Remover this eveing, rinsed off, used Duragloss Shampoo, rinsed again and then clayed with Sonus Green and AG HD Cleanse. Yet after all of this bug residue still left on the bonnett. Also tried Duragloss swirl mark remover which has taken some of the residue off but not all of it

So what can I use by hand application that will get rid if all this has not. Would using AG SRP / UDS with its abrasives work and then HD Cleanse it to get back to base prep.?

Hello PG

When you say residue, it makes me think of a physical remainder of the bug. Can you acutally feel it?

I suspect if you cant, then you may have etched paintwork in which case you need an abrasive and some hardwork to correct it. Esp. as your abrasive product, Duragloss SMR is getting the better results.

Bug guts can also stain paintwork and clearcoat. I would continue using the Dugaloss SMR as its likely to contain a chemical cleaner which will help remove the below the surface staining.

SRP is a good product, however its pretty thick. This tends to limit its ability to clean the paintwork, the abrasives are less the then Duragloss SMR i dont know if it would work as well.

Geoff

As always, my thanks to Geoff. I tried SRP and didn't work and Duragloss SMR is geeting there but I'll probbaly run out before I got the whole bonnet done so am borrowing a machine polisher with cutting pads and various Menerza's to eliminate the etching. The actual body of the bug has gone and you can only ever so slightly feel it in the clearcoat. Just one of those things with numerious bugs that if you don't lift them within a couple of hours of hitting the surface they satin the clearcoat and the wife was going mental at me always washing the car every night after getting home from work.

• 2 weeks later...

Removing Residue/ Paint Stains

Use an Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) or a d-limonene -based (citrus cleaner) (P21S Total Auto Wash by placing a small amount on to a product soaked micro fibre towel, this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time. Apply to effected area in the shade as the alcohol will evaporate very quickly in direct sunlight. Take your time and blot with the alcohol until it softens and melts the residue to the point where you can gently wipe it off the paint. The alcohol content, acts as a drying agent, which will extract the acid, then thoroughly flush with water and use detailers clay to encapsulate any residue, re-spray the area let it dwell for 2-3 minutes and wipe dry. Re-apply paint protection

Edited by OGWT