New a6 owner questions

leea6

Hi all

Hi

I'm a new (and very happy) a6 owner and hoping to answer a few questions

I have bought an a6 avant s-line 2.0 tdi 2008. The dealer said it is a 170 (but didnt seem at all sure) which is supported by a registration plate searches e.g. When I called the insurance company it came up as a 170. However my Internet research suggests that the early 2008 models (i.e. Pre facelift) 2.0 tdi was only ever a 140. I would like to know for sure- can anyone please give me any conclusive information on how to check?

Secondly can anyone please tell me what the latest sat nav DVD version is that works on the 2g mmi DVD nave system, with part # if poss

Third and finally does anyone have the phone prep cradle for iphone and is it a) worth £100 and b) does an iphone fit in with a sleeve/case on?

Cheers

Lee

Many thanks

Lee

Hi! Welcome to TSN.

Hopefully, you have the new Common Rail TDi engine.

The best way, is to check with Audi HQ. Or look in the spare wheel well and you'll see a sticker (or in your service book). That will have all the bits and bobs that your car has, including the engine code. That code will tell you what version of the engine you have.

A quick search or question on here and you'll know!

Thanks for the reply. I'd found the aforementioned sticker in the service book today - as I'd thought, it is I think the 140 engine (2.0tdi r4 103kw BRE) I guess that's a non common-rail engine as it's a pre-facelift model (assuming wikipedia is accurate on the subject)

I was curious more than anything; I'm chuffed anyway I chose it to save a few quid on fuel, it's a lovely motor and averaging around 45mpg means I'm more than twice as well off as in my last one.

On another note, has anyone ever retro-fitted the Audi parking sensor system? I do miss it a bit and its a long car!

Thanks again

Lee

I fitted front/rear sensors and parking camera to my last A6. You can buy complete kits of parts from Kufatec.de, but you will have to drill your bumpers, mount holding brackets for the sensors and paint them to the body colour. Or buy new bumpers with PDC already prepared and paint them up.

It's not a cheap job and you can expect to pay upto £1k for full front/rear PDC, painting etc.

If your interested I have a brand new 2010 S-line bumper still in it's box with PDC, 4 front sensors and the front sensdor wiring harnesses.

Edited by craigyb

Thanks for the reply. I'd found the aforementioned sticker in the service book today - as I'd thought, it is I think the 140 engine (2.0tdi r4 103kw BRE) I guess that's a non common-rail engine as it's a pre-facelift model (assuming wikipedia is accurate on the subject)

I was curious more than anything; I'm chuffed anyway I chose it to save a few quid on fuel, it's a lovely motor and averaging around 45mpg means I'm more than twice as well off as in my last one.

I have the new 2.0 TDi 170 CR engine in my car. The sticker in the spare wheel well lists it as "TDI2.0 R4 125KW" and the engine code is "CAHA"

Your car has the previous-generation 2.0 TDi 140 PD engine.

Regards,

MF.

It is annoying, dealers really should know what they are selling. I recently looked at a VW Toureg (before I bought my A6 Avant) at an independent dealer. It was on an 09 plate and I was looking for the 240PS version of the 3.0TDI which came in (if I remember correctly) May 2008 build onwards. The dealer assured me it was the 240PS version, but when I dug deeper and spoke to VW UK Customer Service, I discovered that the vehicle was built in January 08 but not registered until 2009. It was confirmed as a genuine UK vehicle, but nobody could really explain why it had stood around so long.

There were also other minor details regarding the spec which didn't quite add up for an 09 vehicle. The car was also priced up as an 09 plate car, which the dealer thought was quite reasonable. I didn't really agree, it was a lesser model with an older less efficient engine than a true 09MY.

Anyway, that's my rant over. leea6, I think you should have some comeback with the dealer here. Even if they just give you a phone cradle as an apology for miss selling the car to you... they don't need to know you're happy with the 140bhp.

:wq

It is annoying, dealers really should know what they are selling. I recently looked at a VW Toureg (before I bought my A6 Avant) at an independent dealer. It was on an 09 plate and I was looking for the 240PS version of the 3.0TDI which came in (if I remember correctly) May 2008 build onwards. The dealer assured me it was the 240PS version, but when I dug deeper and spoke to VW UK Customer Service, I discovered that the vehicle was built in January 08 but not registered until 2009. It was confirmed as a genuine UK vehicle, but nobody could really explain why it had stood around so long.

There were also other minor details regarding the spec which didn't quite add up for an 09 vehicle. The car was also priced up as an 09 plate car, which the dealer thought was quite reasonable. I didn't really agree, it was a lesser model with an older less efficient engine than a true 09MY.

Anyway, that's my rant over. leea6, I think you should have some comeback with the dealer here. Even if they just give you a phone cradle as an apology for miss selling the car to you... they don't need to know you're happy with the 140bhp.

:wq

Well said! +++